Black Arachnia the Broodmother is a melee agility hero who is a notably powerful pusher. Her trademark spiderlings, as both an asset and a liability, define her play style. While a possible additional source of income, experience and lane pushes, spiderlings can easily feed opponents when not handled with deft micro and great awareness. Broodmother's abilities allow her to summon those spiderlings to do her bidding, to conceal herself and her spiderlings in an area, and to slow and kill heroes with relative ease if caught off guard, all while staying as elusive as possible with her webs and passives. She spends most of the early game pressuring a lane with little concern, due to her spiderlings and her invisibility/added HP regeneration, but she can also transition into a difficult to kill melee carry, which can dive in on and rapidly kill lone enemies with the right items later on.
| Black Arachnia, the Broodmother
| Play "I've promised you to my children."
|| Pusher / Carry / Escape
|| For centuries, Black Arachnia the Broodmother lurked in the dark lava tubes beneath the smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, raising millions of spiderlings in safety before sending them to find prey in the wide world above. In a later age, the Vizier of Greed, Ptholopthales, erected his lodestone ziggurat on the slopes of the dead volcano, knowing that any looters who sought his magnetic wealth must survive the spider-haunted passages. After millennia of maternal peace, Black Arachnia found herself beset by a steady trickle of furfeet and cutpurses, bold knights and noble youths--all of them delicious, certainly, and yet tending to create a less than nurturing environment for her innocent offspring. Tiring of the intrusions, she paid a visit to Ptholopthales; and when he proved unwilling to discuss a compromise, she wrapped the Vizier in silk and set him aside to be the centerpiece of a special birthday feast. Unfortunately, the absence of the Magnetic Ziggurat's master merely emboldened a new generation of intruders. When one of her newborns was trodden underfoot by a clumsy adventurer, she reached the end of her silken rope. Broodmother headed for the surface, declaring her intent to rid the world of each and every possible invader, down to the last Hero if necessary, until she could ensure her nursery might once more be a safe and wholesome environment for her precious spiderspawn.
|| Ellen McLain (Responses)
- Upon learning, Broodmother instantly gains 1 charge. However, leveling it up further does not instantly grant the 2nd, 3rd or 4th charge.
- Movement speed, unobstructed movement and health regeneration are instantly granted upon entering the web.
- Restores health in form of health regeneration, so it regenerates 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8 health in 0.1 second intervals, which makes 2/4/6/8 health per second.
- Can restore up to 120/240/360/480 health in one minute.
- The Invisibility has a fade delay of 2 seconds and instantly starts upon entering the web.
- When leaving the radius of the web, all its granted effects linger for 0.15 seconds.
- When taking damage from an enemy player, the unobstructed pathing is instantly lost and the movement speed bonus instantly reduced to 20%/25%/30%/35%.
- When taken out of her unobstructed pathing, trees within 150 radius around her get destroyed.
- When Broodmother gets silenced during the fade time, she will not turn invisible. However, once the silence fades, she will instantly turn invisible when still inside a web.
- Doom will fully reveal Broodmother for its full duration. Other bonuses from Spin Webs are not stopped by silence or Doom.
- All other units owned by Broodmother are not affected by Spin Webs, including her illusions.
- Spin Webs are visible on the mini-map for Broodmother and her allies. They do not provide vision but are selectable for Broodmother through the Fog of War.
- The web will distinctly twitch whenever Broodmother walks on it, indicating her position. The twitching is not visible when Broodmother is not visible (enemies require True Sight).
Spin Web Ability
| Destroy Spin Web
| Destroys the selected Spin Web.
| Cast Time: 0+0|
- This is cast from the web itself, allowing Broodmother to destroy webs individually instead of having the oldest one destroyed.
- Spin webs do not leave corpses.
|| 60 seconds
| Hit Points
| Health Regen
| Movement Speed
| Collision size
| Attack Range
| Attack Duration
| Base Attack Time
|| 16 - 21
|| No abilities
- Going into a solo lane is a viable option for Broodmother as webs give her the survivability and the pushing power from the spiderlings can overwhelm a lane without need of her being babysat by an additional hero.
- Spawn Spiderlings acts as a ranged nuke, and is very useful for killing weak enemies that are fleeing.
- Soul Ring is a great item to have on her as the instant mana boost gives her the ability to spawn more spiderlings and the HP regen from the webs can cover for the loss of HP from the Soul ring
- Going right into a Black King Bar is a good choice as the combination of magic immunity and the powerful lifesteal from Insatiable Hunger makes the Broodmother a very difficult opponent to kill.
- Casting Spin Web on top of an enemy tower makes it easy to dive in on weak heroes. The regen and movespeed bonus combined with Broodmother's slow is very effective for diving on heroes with no reliable escape or stun.
- Broodmother is very effective against solitary targets, but against multiple enemies she suffers; as her lifesteal can generally only replenish the damage taken from a solitary foe.
- A quick Yasha will give her more movement speed to evade ganks and remain a threat for that lane. Then this can be made into a Manta Style which will give her a way to remove dust and confuse the enemy to escape ganks and waste their crowd control spells.
- Be cautious when the enemy has picked an Earthshaker as Echo Slam will annihilate her if multiple spiderlings are present.
- Legion Commander's first ability, Overwhelming Odds, scales off how many units are in the AoE. It will destroy her spiderlings and do a huge amount of damage to Broodmother.
- If playing against Undying, you should leave spiderlings to a safe distance. His tomb stone will spawn 1 zombie for each spiderling every second killing them in 2-3 second. Undying will get huge gold and xp boost while they hinder your ability to fight when they suddenly lose their free pathing. Undying Soul Rip will also gain power for each unit within it's radius. Send spiderlings to attack only when you are certain Undying can't use tomb stone.
- In her DotA biography, Broodmother's spiderlings originated from her relationship with Anub'arak, the Nerubian Assassin. In Dota 2, such tie between the two heroes does not exist.
- Broodmother's Fun/Alternate name was Broodmama.
- Broodmother's rarer response Play "some pig." is a reference to the children's novel Charlotte's Web.
February 04, 2015 Patch
December 17, 2014 Patch Update 5
October 21, 2013 Patch
March 28, 2013 Patch
November 30, 2012 Patch
- Updated Broodmother's model.
October 11, 2012 Patch
August 02, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Teleport animations for Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Broodmother, Clinkz, Lifestealer, Necrolyte and Shadow Shaman.
July 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Spiderling passive proccing on magic immune units (like zombies) and spawning mass spiderlings.
April 26, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
March 28, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Broodmother's texture.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added idle injured animations for Broodmother.
March 01, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added new run animation for Broodmother Broodmother's Spiderlings.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Broodmother.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Broodmother.
January 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Spawn Spiderite working on wards.
December 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger working against illusions.
December 08, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Broodmother's webs not showing up if you connected after they were created.
October 27, 2011 Patch
- Added Broodmother's Spiderling's voice code.
- Enabled Broodmother, Skeleton King and Queen of Pain in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Poison Sting from affecting Wards.
- Fixed the wrong web sometimes getting removed when a new one is added.
- Fixed the Spiderlings and Spiderite passive abilities working on buildings and mechanical units.
- Fixed Spawn Spiderlings not being a projectile.
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger being purgable.
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger bonus damage being considered as base damage.
October 20, 2011 Patch
- Added Broodmother, Queen of Pain and Skeleton King!
- Spiderlings' day vision reduced from 1400 to 1100
- [Undocumented] Spiderites' day vision reduced from 1400 to 1100
- Spin Web:
- Now has 1/2/3/4 charges with a 40 second replenish time, instead of a 30 second cooldown
- Still has a max of 2/4/6/8 Webs total.
- Time to enter hidden mode after taking damage increased from 3 to 6 seconds
- Movement speed bonus is doubled whenever Broodmother is in hidden mode (having not taken damage recently)
- Phasing and speed bonuses now work on Spiderlings
- Are now selectable and have an ability to destroy themselves
- Can now be cast from anywhere as long as the new web touches another
- Whenever Broodmother is taken out of Spin Web's free pathing, she destroys nearby trees
- Poison Sting damage per second increased from 4 to 8.
- Spin Web's free pathing no longer deactivates when enemy has vision on Broodmother.
- Spin Webs free pathing is now disabled for 3 seconds when Broodmother takes damage.
- Insatiable Hunger lifesteal increased from 40/60/80% to 60/80/100%.
- Can no longer leave the map boundaries.
- Spin Web no longer provides 200 vision.
- Free pathing is now removed when enemies have vision over you.
- Spin Web
- AoE increased from 650 to 900.
- Cast range increased from 600 to 1000.
- Cast point nerfed from 0.2 to 0.4.
- No longer destroys trees.
- Broodmother now has completely unobstructed movement when under the web (can walk over cliffs, trees, etc).
- Removed buffer time when leaving Spin Web (you now immediately lose your regen/movement/pathing/invis bonuses).
- Removed from Captain's Mode.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Base movement speed reduced from 315 to 310.
- Spawn Spawn Spiderlings manacost increased from 75/90/105/120 to 80/100/120/140.
- Spawn Spawn Spiderlings buff duration increased from 0.9 seconds to 2.
- Changed Spawn Spiderlings's armor type from medium to normal and now take damage from first towers (50->100 %).
- Rebalanced Insatiable Hunger.
- Was 60/75/90 bonus damage with 40/60/80% lifesteal for 20 seconds
- Now 60/80/100 bonus damage with 40/55/70% lifesteal for 12 seconds
- Reduced vision aoe on Spin Web and tweaked cooldown and manacost progression.
- Reduced vision
- Cooldown from 90/75/60/45 to 90/70/50/30 seconds. Manacost from 140 to 50.
- Improved HP on Spiderlings
- Spin Web regeneration now improves with levels
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Broodmother now has vision directly underneath her webs.
- Insatiable Hunger duration from 30 to 20 seconds
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Broodmother's web now has truesight