Black Arachnia the Broodmother is a melee agility hero who is a notably powerful pusher. Her trademark spiderlings, as both an asset and a liability, define her play style. While a possible additional source of income, experience and lane pushes, spiderlings can easily feed opponents when not handled with deft micro and great awareness. Broodmother's abilities allow her to summon those spiderlings to do her bidding, to conceal herself and her spiderlings in an area, and to slow and kill heroes with relative ease if caught off guard, all while staying as elusive as possible with her webs and passives. She spends most of the early game pressuring a lane with little concern, due to her spiderlings and her invisibility/added HP regeneration, but she can also transition into a difficult to kill melee carry, which can dive in on and rapidly kill lone enemies with the right items later on.
 Recommended items
- Spin Web and Spawn Spiderlings should almost always be maxed first, before points are put into any other ability. Both Incapacitating Bite and Insatiable Hunger are only useful once Broodmother has gotten her farm.
- Going into a solo lane is a viable option for Broodmother as webs give her the survivability and the pushing power from the spiderlings can overwhelm a lane without need of her being babysat by an additional hero.
- Spawn Spiderlings acts as a ranged nuke, and is very useful for killing weak enemies that are fleeing.
- Soul Ring is a great item to have on her as the instant mana boost gives her the ability to spawn more spiderlings and the HP regen from the webs can cover for the loss of HP from the Soul ring
- Going right into a Black King Bar is a good choice as the combination of magic immunity and the powerful lifesteal from Insatiable Hunger makes the Broodmother a very difficult opponent to kill.
- Casting Spin Web on top of an enemy tower makes it easy to dive in on weak heroes. The regen and movespeed bonus combined with Broodmother's slow is very effective for diving on heroes with no reliable escape or stun.
- Broodmother is very effective against solitary targets, but against multiple enemies she suffers; as her lifesteal can generally only replenish the damage taken from a solitary foe.
- A quick Yasha will give her more movement speed to evade ganks and remain a threat for that lane. Then this can be made into a Manta Style which will give her a way to remove dust and confuse the enemy to escape ganks and waste their crowd control spells.
- Try forgoing the passive for a Desolator and early skill points in attributes instead: your spiders will deal more damage because of that -7 armor, and works on towers as well, and the extra attributes might help you stay ahead of your opponents. Use in situations when you feel you wont benefit much from the miss chance and slow of your passive.
- Be cautious when the enemy has picked an Earthshaker as Echo Slam will annihilate her if multiple spiderlings are present.
- Legion Commander's first ability, Overwhelming Odds scales off how many units are in the AoE. It will destroy her spiderlings and do a huge amount of damage to Broodmother.
- In her DotA biography, Broodmother's spiderlings originated from her relationship with Anub'arak, the Nerubian Assassin. In Dota 2, Nerubian Assassin was changed to Nyx Assassin to avoid copyright issues, thus changing Broodmother's story and severing any ties between them.
- Broodmother's Fun/Alternate name was Broodmama.
- One of Broodmother's rarer responses is "some pig", a reference to the children's novel Charlotte's Web.
 Update history
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger cooldown on level 1 and 3.
- Fixed Incapacitating Bite working against Wards.
- [Undocumented] Added Teleport animations for Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Broodmother, Clinkz, Lifestealer, Necrolyte and Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Spiderling passive proccing on magic immune units (like zombies) and spawning mass spiderlings.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- [Undocumented] Updated Broodmother's texture.
- [Undocumented] Added idle injured animations for Broodmother.
- [Undocumented] Added new run animation for Broodmother Broodmother's Spiderlings.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Broodmother.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Broodmother.
- Fixed Spawn Spiderite working on wards.
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger working against illusions.
- Fixed Broodmother's webs not showing up if you connected after they were created.
- Added Broodmother's Spiderling's voice code.
- Enabled Broodmother, Skeleton King and Queen of Pain in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Poison Sting from affecting Wards.
- Fixed the wrong web sometimes getting removed when a new one is added.
- Fixed the Spiderlings and Spiderite passive abilities working on buildings and mechanical units.
- Fixed Spawn Spiderlings not being a projectile.
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger being purgable.
- Fixed Insatiable Hunger bonus damage being considered as base damage.
- Added Broodmother, Queen of Pain and Skeleton King!
 Balance changelog
- Poison Sting damage per second increased from 4 to 8.
- Spin Web's free pathing no longer deactivates when enemy has vision on Broodmother.
- Spin Webs free pathing is now disabled for 3 seconds when Broodmother takes damage.
- Uses the same damage source rules as Blink Dagger.
- Insatiable Hunger lifesteal increased from 40/60/80% to 60/80/100%.
- Can no longer leave the map boundaries.
- Spin Web no longer provides 200 vision.
- Free pathing is now removed when enemies have vision over you.
- Spin Web
- AoE increased from 650 to 900.
- Cast range increased from 600 to 1000.
- Cast point nerfed from 0.2 to 0.4.
- No longer destroys trees.
- Broodmother now has completely unobstructed movement when under the web (can walk over cliffs, trees, etc).
- Removed buffer time when leaving Spin Web (you now immediately lose your regen/movement/pathing/invis bonuses).
- Incapacitating Bite miss chance from 10/20/30/40% to 30/40/50/60%.
- Spawn Spiderlings unit count increased from 1/2/3/3 to 1/2/3/4.
- Spawn Spiderlings's Spiderite bounty increased from 11-13 to 16-21.
- Incapacitating Bite no longer gives 2/4/6/8 bonus damage.
- Incapacitating Bite miss rate increased from 10/15/20/25 to 10/20/30/40.
- Base movement speed reduced from 310 to 295.
- Spin Web cooldown reduced from 90/70/50/30 to 30.
- Spin Web AoE increased from 500 to 650.
- Spin Web movement bonus increased from 20/23/26/29% to 20/25/30/35%.
- Spawn Spiderlings spawn count decreased from 1/2/3/4 to 1/2/3/3.
- Spawn Spiderlings Manacost rebalanced from 80/100/120/140 to 120.
- Spawn Spiderlings & Spawn Spiderite are now affected by Spin Web.
- Spawn Spiderlings Model size increase slightly.
- Spawn Spiderlings & Spawn Spiderite they now take more damage from towers (50%-125%).
- Spawn Spiderlings now do more damage to heroes (75%->100%) and less damage to towers (70%-40%).
- Base movement speed reduced from 315 to 310.
- Spawn Spawn Spiderlings manacost increased from 75/90/105/120 to 80/100/120/140.
- Spawn Spawn Spiderlings buff duration increased from 0.9 seconds to 2.
- Increased XP given for killing Broodmother's Spawn Spiderlings.
- Armor decreased by 2.
- Insatiable Hunger lifesteal increased from 40/55/70% to 40/60/80%.
- Insatiable Hunger duration increased from 12 to 14 seconds.
- Changed Spawn Spiderlings's armor type from medium to normal and now take damage from first towers (50->100 %).
- Rebalanced Insatiable Hunger.
- Reduced vision aoe on Spin Web and tweaked cooldown and manacost progression.
- Increased level 3 Insatiable Hunger cooldown.
 See also