Black Arachnia the Broodmother is a melee agility hero who is a notably powerful pusher. Her trademark spiderlings, as both an asset and a liability, define her play style. While a possible additional source of income, experience and lane pushes, spiderlings can easily feed opponents when not handled with deft micro and great awareness. Broodmother's abilities allow her to summon those spiderlings to do her bidding, to conceal herself and her spiderlings in an area, and to slow and kill heroes with relative ease if caught off guard, all while staying as elusive as possible with her webs and passives. She spends most of the early game pressuring a lane with little concern, due to her spiderlings and her invisibility/added HP regeneration, but she can also transition into a difficult to kill melee carry, which can dive in on and rapidly kill lone enemies with the right items later on.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Broodmother injects her young into an enemy unit, dealing damage. The spiderlings will hatch if the target is killed while under this influence.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 700
Number of Spiderlings: 1/2/3/4
Debuff Duration: 2
Spiderling Duration: 60
Spawn Spiderlings: Dispellable with any dispel.
|Black Arachnia continues to raise her young, even amidst the field of combat. The brood quickly learns how to support their mother.|
|Spins a large web that renders Broodmother invisible, grants a passive movement speed increase, gives free movement, and boosts regeneration while in its vicinity. Spin Web charges restore every 40 seconds. If damage is taken, free movement is disabled and the movement speed increase is halved for 6 seconds. Spin Web can be cast from anywhere as long as the new web touches an existing web. Webs never expire, and can be manually destroyed. When the maximum limit of webs is exceeded, the oldest web disappears.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 1000
Web Radius: 900
Number of Web Charges: 1/2/3/4
Max Amount of Webs: 2/4/6/8
Fade Delay: 2
Health Regen Bonus: 2/4/6/8
Move Speed Bonus: 40%/50%/60%/70%
Charge Replenish Time: 40
Spin Web Charge Counter: Undispellable.
Spin Web Invisible Applier: Undispellable.
Spin Web: Undispellable.
|Weaving a bed of silken fibers, Arachnia's web both protects her and her offspring, as well as giving advancing opponents a sense of foreboding.|
- Has a global cast range when a part of another web is within the targeted area.
- Upon learning, Broodmother instantly gains 1 charge. However, but leveling it up further does not instantly grant the other charges.
- Only affects the caster, and all Spiderlings and Spiderites under the player's control. Other player-controlled units are unaffected.
- Movement speed, unobstructed movement and health regeneration are instantly granted upon entering the web.
- Restores health in the form of regeneration, so it restores 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8 health in 0.1 second intervals, which makes 2/4/6/8 per second.
- Can restore up to 120/240/360/480 health in one minute.
- The invisibility has a fade delay of 2 seconds and instantly starts upon entering the web.
- When leaving the radius of the web, all its granted effects linger for 0.15 seconds.
- When taking player-based damage, the unobstructed movement is instantly lost and the speed bonus reduced to 20%/25%/30%/35%.
- When taken out of her unobstructed pathing, trees within 150 radius around her get destroyed.
- Webs are visible on the minimap for Broodmother and her team. They do not provide vision but are selectable through the Fog of War.
- The web's twitching caused by Broodmother or her spiders moving in it is only visible to enemies when they have True Sight.
- Spin Webs possess the Destroy Spin Web ability.
|Broodmother's venom cripples enemy units, causing her attacks to slow and giving the affected unit a chance to miss its attacks.|
|Move Speed Slow: 10%/20%/30%/40%|
Miss Chance: 30%/40%/50%/60%
Incapacitating Bite Orb: Dispellable with any dispel.
|Paralytic toxins come from Black Arachnia's fangs, causing a slow and painful death to those who intrude on her webs.|
|A violent lust for vital fluids increases Broodmother's attack damage and gives her a vampiric attack.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Attack Damage Bonus: 60/90/120
Insatiable Hunger: Dispellable with any dispel.
|While most of her prey is wrapped in silken cocoons and saved for her young, the Broodmother herself has a taste for wandering heroes.|
- Fully stacks with all other sources of lifesteal.
- The damage is added as raw damage bonus, so it can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble, but not amplified with e.g. Empower.
Spin Web ability[edit | edit source]
|Destroy Spin Web|
|Destroys the selected Spin Web.|
|Cast Animation: +|
- This is cast from the web itself, allowing Broodmother to destroy webs individually instead of having the oldest one destroyed.
- The cast of Destroy Spin Web is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Spin webs do not leave corpses.
Spiderling abilities[edit | edit source]
|Poisons and slows enemies with each attack.|
|Damage per Second: 8|
Move Speed Slow: 8%
Hero Duration: 2
Creep Duration: 6
Poison Sting Debuff: Dispellable with any dispel.
- Successive hits with Poison Sting on the same target do not stack, only the debuff gets refreshed.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 2 (6) damage ticks.
- Can deal up to 16 (48) damage (before reductions).
- Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Spiderites do not possess this ability.
|Applies debuff on attack. If debuffed unit dies, a spiderite will spawn.|
|Number of Spiderites: 1|
Debuff Duration: 2
Spawn Spiderite Debuff: Dispellable with any dispel.
- Spiderites only spawn when the attacked unit dies while having the debuff on.
- It does not matter who kills the target, if it dies in any way, the spiderites spawn.
- Spiderites are fully affected by Spin Web.
- Spiderites do not possess this ability.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango and Healing Salve both provide needed health regeneration during the laning phase.
- Ring of Protection gives extra armor and can be built into a Ring of Basilius from the side-shop.
- The extra mana burst from Soul Ring allows her to use Spawn Spiderlings to harass the lane rival and safely take last hits.
- Ring of Basilius provides attribute bonuses as well as an armor aura for extra pushing power and can be upgraded into Vladimir's Offering later on.
- Power Treads provide attack speed and more survivability through additional attribute bonuses.
- The silence from Orchid Malevolence allows her to kill heroes with escape abilities and/or stuns.
- Vladmir's Offering provides a useful lifesteal effect on both Broodmother and nearby spiderlings, fully stacking with the effects of her ultimate ability. The bonus armor and attack damage greatly increase the ability of Broodmother and her spiders to push lanes and towers.
- Black King Bar's magic immunity synergies with the huge lifesteal from Insatiable Hunger and makes her very hard to kill.
- Manta Style offers bonus attack speed, damage, movement speed and stats. The active ability, Mirror Image, can be used to dispel debuffs such as Dust of Appearance, dodge stunning projectiles such as Storm Hammer, or to increase Broodmother's ability to push lanes and towers.
- Butterfly offers bonus attack speed, damage and armor, increasing Broodmother's carry potential. The only downside is that the enemy most likely purchases Monkey King Bar on their carries to counter you anyway, making the evasion of Butterfly less useful.
- Monkey King Bar is bought to dominate enemies with evasion and the built-in mini-bash can prevent enemies from escaping with a Town Portal Scroll.
- Radiance provides useful area damage that Broodmother can easily apply while invisible and/or unreachable both to push lanes faster and to harass incautious enemy heroes.
- Assault Cuirass boosts the attack speed and armor of Broodmother and her spiders.
Counters[edit | edit source]
- Axe is the curse of every Broodmother. She has to reveal herself and the spiderlings if caught by Berserker's Call and feeds huge amounts of gold to the Counter Helix. A follow-up Battle Hunger prevents her from escaping in the trees and gives a chance to keep up with her immense speed.
- Dark Seer zones you out from creepwaves with Ion Shell. He might even cast it on your spiderlings, who will get damaged quickly unless you sort out the afflicted ones. Vacuum destroys the trees you might try to hide and Surge lets him escape in case you try to turn on him.
- Legion Commander's first ability, Overwhelming Odds, scales off how many units are in the AoE. It destroys her spiderlings and does a huge amount of damage to Broodmother.
- If playing against Undying, you should leave spiderlings to a safe distance. His Tombstone spawns 1 zombie for each spiderling every second killing them in 2-3 seconds. Thus Undying gets a huge gold and XP boost while they hinder your ability to fight when they suddenly lose their free pathing. Undying's Soul Rip also gains power for each unit within its radius. Send spiderlings to attack only when you are certain that he cannot use Tombstone.
- Be cautious when the enemy has picked Earthshaker as Echo Slam annihilates her if multiple spiderlings are present.
- Ember Spirit, Meepo and Naga Siren have good tools to counterpush and easily clear out your minions.
- Slardar can track you with Amplify Damage and catch up with Sprint. In a direct confrontation he comes out on top by bursting your spiderlings with Slithereen Crush and hitting you down with Bash faster than Insatiable Hunger can compensate for.
- It's suicidal to stay close to Timbersaw because all of his spells deal pure AoE damage and destroy your tree hiding spots. Your spiderlings boot up Reactive Armor within the shortest time possible.
- Blink Dagger is one of the best tools to catch you out and get in range for disables.
- Boots of Travel allow the enemy to come back to defend against splitpush or join a fight after pushing back your lane.
- Crimson Guard and Vanguard negate most of the spiderling damage.
- Sentry Wards restrict your movement heavily as it's very easy to predict your whereabouts due to the nets. Gem of True Sight is the even better alternative once they investments for wards are too high or in case you are counterwarding.
- Diffusal Blade allows enemies to purge Insatiable Hunger and stops you from getting away.
- Radiance disables your unobstructed movement and burns down the spiderlings very fast.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Broodmother is a prime choice for going into the offlane, as her webs give her the survivability and the pushing power from the spiderlings can overwhelm a lane without need of her being babysat by an additional hero.
- Spawn Spiderlings acts as a ranged nuke, and is very useful for killing weak enemies that are fleeing.
- Soul Ring is a great item to have on her as the instant mana boost gives her the ability to spawn more spiderlings and the HP regen from the webs can cover for the loss of HP from the Soul Ring.
- Going right into a Black King Bar is a good choice as the combination of magic immunity and the powerful lifesteal from Insatiable Hunger makes the Broodmother a very difficult opponent to kill.
- Casting Spin Web on top of an enemy tower makes it easy to dive in on weak heroes. The regen and movespeed bonus combined with Broodmother's slow is very effective for diving on heroes with no reliable escape or stun.
- Broodmother is very effective against solitary targets, but against multiple enemies she suffers; as her lifesteal can generally only replenish the damage taken from a solitary foe.
- A quick Yasha gives her more movement speed to evade ganks and remain a threat for that lane. Then this can be made into a Manta Style which gives her a way to remove dust and confuse the enemy to escape ganks and waste their crowd control spells.
- Incapacitating Bite is not a Unique Attack Modifier and stacks fully with Orb of Venom and Eye of Skadi and also with Poison Sting making almost impossible for your enemies to escape on foot.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In her DotA biography, Broodmother's spiderlings originated from her relationship with Anub'arak, the Nerubian Assassin. In Dota 2, such tie between the two heroes does not exist.
- Broodmother's Fun/Alternate name was Broodmama.
- Broodmother's rarer response Play "some pig." is a reference to the children's novel Charlotte's Web.