|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Black Arachnia, the Broodmother, is a melee agility hero who is a notably powerful pusher. Her trademark spiderlings, as both an asset and a liability, define her play style. While a possible additional source of income, experience and lane pushes, spiderlings can easily feed opponents when not handled with deft micro and great awareness. Broodmother's abilities allow her to summon those spiderlings to do her bidding, to conceal herself and her spiderlings in an area, and to slow and kill heroes with relative ease if caught off guard, all while staying as elusive as possible with her webs and passives. She spends most of the early game pressuring a lane with little concern, due to her spiderlings and her invisibility/added health regeneration, but she can also transition into a difficult to kill melee carry, which can dive in on and rapidly kill lone enemies with the right items later on.
|Black Arachnia, the Broodmother|
|Play "I've promised you to my children."|
|Role:||Carry / Pusher / Escape / Nuker|
|Lore:||For centuries, Black Arachnia the Broodmother lurked in the dark lava tubes beneath the smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, raising millions of spiderlings in safety before sending them to find prey in the wide world above. In a later age, the Vizier of Greed, Ptholopthales, erected his lodestone ziggurat on the slopes of the dead volcano, knowing that any looters who sought his magnetic wealth must survive the spider-haunted passages. After millennia of maternal peace, Black Arachnia found herself beset by a steady trickle of furfeet and cutpurses, bold knights and noble youths--all of them delicious, certainly, and yet tending to create a less than nurturing environment for her innocent offspring. Tiring of the intrusions, she paid a visit to Ptholopthales; and when he proved unwilling to discuss a compromise, she wrapped the Vizier in silk and set him aside to be the centerpiece of a special birthday feast. Unfortunately, the absence of the Magnetic Ziggurat's master merely emboldened a new generation of intruders. When one of her newborns was trodden underfoot by a clumsy adventurer, she reached the end of her silken rope. Broodmother headed for the surface, declaring her intent to rid the world of each and every possible invader, down to the last Hero if necessary, until she could ensure her nursery might once more be a safe and wholesome environment for her precious spiderspawn.|
|Voice:||Ellen McLain (Responses)|
- Has a global cast range when a part of another web is within the targeted area.
- Upon learning, Broodmother instantly gains 1 charge. However, leveling it up further does not instantly grant the other charges.
- Only affects the caster, and all Spiderlings and Spiderites under the player's control. Other player-controlled units are unaffected.
- Movement speed, unobstructed movement and health regeneration are instantly granted upon entering the web.
- Restores health in the form of regeneration, so it restores 0.3/0.5/0.7/0.9 health in 0.1 second intervals, which makes 3/5/7/9 per second.
- Can restore up to 180/300/420/540 health in one minute.
- The invisibility has a fade delay of 2 seconds and instantly starts upon entering the web.
- The effects are provided by an aura. Its buff lingers for 0.15 seconds.
- When taking player-based damage, the unobstructed movement is instantly lost and the speed bonus reduced to 20%/25%/30%/35%.
- When Broodmother or a summoned spider taken out of their unobstructed pathing, trees within 150 radius around them get destroyed.
- Webs are visible on the minimap for Broodmother and her team. They do not provide vision but are selectable through the Fog of War.
- The web's twitching caused by Broodmother or her spiders moving in it is only visible to enemies when they have True Sight.
- Spin webs possess the Destroy Spin Web ability.
- Spin webs do not block neutral creep camps.
Spin Web ability
- This is cast from the web itself, allowing Broodmother to destroy webs individually instead of having the oldest one destroyed.
- The cast of Destroy Spin Web is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Spin webs do not leave corpses.
- Successive hits with Poison Sting on the same target do not stack, only the debuff gets refreshed.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 2 (6) damage ticks.
- Can deal up to 16 (48) damage (before reductions).
- Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Spiderites do not possess this ability.
- Spiderites only spawn when the attacked unit dies while having the debuff on.
- It does not matter who kills the target, if it dies in any way, the spiderites spawn.
- Spiderites are fully affected by Spin Web.
- Spiderites do not possess this ability.
|+225 Spiders Health||25||+8 Max Webs|
|+70 Attack Speed||20||+12 Spiders Attack Damage|
|+350 Health||15||20% Cooldown Reduction|
|+25% XP Gain||10||+60 Spawn Spiderlings Damage|
- Cooldown reduction affects abilities and items. Stacks multiplicatively with Octarine Core and additively with Arcane Rune.
- Cooldown reduction affects replenish time of Spin Web.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The Spin Web upgrade allows to have 8 more webs on the map. It does not add 8 charges.
- The health upgrade to spiders applies to Spiderlings and Spiderites. It does not apply to Broodmother herself.
- Tango provide needed health regeneration during the laning phase.
- Healing Salve keeps Broodmother in lane.
- Ring of Protection gives extra armor and can be built into a Ring of Basilius from the side-shop.
- Soul Ring allows her to use Spawn Spiderlings to harass the lane rival and safely take last hits.
- Ring of Basilius provides attribute bonuses as well as an armor aura for extra pushing power and can be upgraded into Vladmir's Offering later on.
- Power Treads provide attack speed and more survivability through additional attribute bonuses.
- Orchid Malevolence's silence allows Broodmother to kill heroes with escape abilities and/or stuns.
- Vladmir's Offering provides a useful lifesteal effect on both Broodmother and nearby spiderlings, fully stacking with the effects of her ultimate ability. The bonus armor and attack damage greatly increase the ability of Broodmother and her spiders to push lanes and towers.
- Hand of Midas should be picked up if Broodmother had a good early game. It increases her experience greatly, especially with the level 10 talent.
- Black King Bar's magic immunity synergies with the huge lifesteal from Insatiable Hunger and makes her very hard to kill.
- Desolator gives excellent damage and an armor reduction debuff increasing Broodmother's push and farm speed.
- Assault Cuirass boosts the attack speed and armor of Broodmother and her spiders, while also reducing the armor of nearby towers, allowing her to push faster.
- Manta Style offers bonus attack speed, damage, movement speed and stats. The active ability, Mirror Image, can be used to dispel debuffs such as Dust of Appearance, dodge stunning projectiles such as Storm Hammer, or to increase Broodmother's ability to push lanes and towers.
- Butterfly offers bonus attack speed, damage and armor, increasing Broodmother's carry potential. The only downside is that the enemy most likely purchases Monkey King Bar on their carries to counter you anyway, making the evasion of Butterfly less useful.
- Monkey King Bar can be bought to dominate enemies with evasion. Another choice can be upgrade Orchid Malevolence to Bloodthorn.
- Radiance provides useful area damage that Broodmother can easily apply while invisible and/or unreachable both to push lanes faster and to harass incautious enemy heroes.
- In her DotA biography, Broodmother's spiderlings originated from her relationship with Anub'arak, the Nerubian Assassin ( Nyx Assassin). In Dota 2, no relationship between the two heroes exists.
- Broodmother's is sometimes called by her nickname, "Broodmama".
- Broodmother's response Play "Some pig." is a reference to the children's novel Charlotte's Web.