Mangix the Brewmaster is a melee strength hero that can fill almost any role, though he is primarily seen as a carry, ganker, tank or initiator. He fits well into any lane, but is very experience dependent, which means he is often seen on the offlane or the midlane. His core abilities make him a respectable physical damage dealer and an especially good duelist since he has abilities that involve negating opposing auto-attacks while strengthening his own. However, his true power lies in his ultimate, Primal Split, which, if used properly, can by itself turn the tide of a team fight. Each of the three aspects of the Brewmaster are exceptionally powerful, with exceptional disables, survivability against magic and physical attacks, and damage; they are also able to charge recklessly into the enemy since the damage they take is not permanent, and very rarely will all three die before Primal Split ends. For this reason, Brewmaster is almost always built to fully maximize the potential of this ultimate, getting items such as Blink Dagger so that he can combo into his ultimate without risk of being initiated on, Heart of Tarrasque to ensure he can survive the first wave of stuns and burst in order to cast his ultimate, and of course Aghanim's Scepter to give his spirits his abilities, Thunder Clap to Earth, Drunken Haze to Storm, and Drunken Brawler to Fire, all independent of the original Brewmaster's cooldowns for his abilities.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Drunken Haze's projectile travels at a speed of 1600 and can be disjointed.
- Increases attack damage by an average of 10%/15%/20%/25% and survivability versus attacks by 11.1%/17.6%/25%/33.3% (not counting the guaranteed crit/dodge).
- The proc chances of multiple crit sources stack.
- If two sources of critical strike proc at the same time, the higher multiplier has priority.
- Drunken Brawler's evasion stacks multiplicatively with other sources of evasion.
- The guaranteed critical strike and guaranteed dodge chance use separate trigger timers, not actual ability cooldowns.
- While either of them is not ready, Brewmaster can still passively evade attacks and perform critical strikes.
- When the guaranteed critical strike is ready, Brewmaster's upper body emits particles, while a red streak is visible on the icon ().
- When the guaranteed dodge is ready, Brewmaster's lower body emits particles, while the icon's yellow background turns orange ().
- When both the guaranteed critical strike and dodge are ready, both of these visual indicators are visible and shown on the icon ().
- The guaranteed critical strike is only used up if the attack actually lands. Missed attacks do not reset its certain trigger timer.
- The guaranteed evasion is only used up if an attack actually misses. Attacks with True Strike do not reset its certain trigger timer.
- The sound and particles of the critical strike play upon start of the attack, not when the attack lands.
- Brewmaster is invulnerable and hidden during the split time and duration. Does not apply any form of dispel upon cast.
- During Primal Split, Brewmaster is periodically moved to Earth's position. If Earth dies, to Storm's and if Storm dies, to Fire's. This affects multiple things such as:
- When Primal Split ends, Brewmaster appears at Earth's location. If Earth is dead, at Storm's and if Storm is dead, at Fire's location.
- Every aura Brewmaster has (Including Gem of True Sight and Radiance) affects units around Earth, if Earth is dead, around Storm and if Storm is dead, around Fire.
- Effects which react on heroes' presence ( Smoke of Deceit, Marksmanship, Blur) react on Earth's presence, if Earth is dead, on Storm's and if Storm is dead, on Fire's.
- Teleporting effects like Test of Faith (Teleport) or Relocate cause the periodic moving of Brewmaster to get canceled, so that the 3 notes above do not apply anymore.
- The Storm, Earth and Fire spirits are treated like heroes by most spells. This means that they cannot be dominated or converted ( Holy Persuasion, Hand of Midas, Enchant slows instead), buffs and debuffs last as long as they do on heroes and most heroes-only targeted spells can target them (e.g. Shallow Grave).
- The spirits do not take summon bonus damage (e.g. Arcane Orb) either.
- The Primal Split spirits cannot pick up runes or make use of rune effects Brewmaster has active on himself. For example, when Brewmaster picks up a Haste Rune and then uses his ultimate, the haste duration will keep on ticking down during Primal Split and he can possibly still make use of it as he returns.
Earth[edit | edit source]
- The boulder travels at a speed of 800 and can be disjointed.
Storm[edit | edit source]
- Applies a Cyclone effect on the affected units, so it turns them invulnerable and fully disables them for its duration.
- However, unlike other cyclones, this one does not dispel the target.
- While in the air, other units may pass below the cycloned unit.
- Can be cast on Roshan, but it only interrupts him for a split second, and does not lift him.
- The damage is directly added to Storm's attack damage, so it can be reduced with e.g. Static Link, but not amplified with e.g. Empower.
- This also means that Storm can lifesteal off of the damage.
- During the fade time, Storm can cast spells and perform attacks without breaking the invisibility.
- Attacks performed during the fade time apply the Wind Walk damage.
- The invisibility is broken upon reaching the cast point of spells, or launching an attack.
- The attack out of Wind Walk does not have True Strike.
- Storm does not auto-attack while invisible.
Fire[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+14 Primal Split Unit Armor||25||+75 Damage|
|+20 Strength||20||-25s Respawn Time|
|+10% Magic Resistance||15||+20 Movement Speed|
|+3 Mana Regen||10||+25 Attack Speed|
- The mana regen is added as a bonus and does not benefit illusions.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Iron Branches are useful in boosting Brewmaster's early stats, making him tankier.
- Bracer gives him more strength, as well as additional attack damage, and can be built into a Drum of Endurance later.
- Bottle is commonly picked up if Brewmaster is in the mid lane.
- Phase Boots aids his movement, and also multiplies nicely with his critical damage. The Phase ability will help him chase enemy heroes and position his Thunder Clap better.
- Magic Wand gives him bonus attributes and a good source of regeneration.
- Drum of Endurance is a good midgame item that grants you a decent amount of health and gives you a nice boost in movement speed.
- Blink Dagger is critical to initiate, and improve on Brewmaster's low mobility.
- Arcane Boots can be considered for more passive Brewmasters that rely on abilities rather than direct initiation.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives huge boost to health and mana. It also gives Primal Split spirits one of each of Brewmaster's abilities.
- Assault Cuirass makes Brewmaster even tankier, allowing him to survive longer engagements and getting off a Primal Split without needing to retreat. The aura also remains on each unit during his ultimate.
- Blade Mail can be considered if Brewmaster's primary role is tanking.
- Black King Bar is also useful for a tanking Brewmaster, as it reduces his reliance on Primal Split for survival.
- Shiva's Guard gives him an additional slow aside for Thunder Clap, as well as more armor for tankability.
- Heart of Tarrasque helps him withstand being focused down, as well as give him more attack damage. Note that Brewmaster will heal some of his health during Primal Split.
- Radiance gives him even more damage, as well as damage enemies around him for as long as he stands.
- Vladmir's Offering gives him a small boost in regeneration and armor, as well as lifesteal upon every attack, which works well together with his crits, helping out his survivability.
- Heaven's Halberd gives some strength and even more evasion, along with the ability to disarm enemy attackers.
- Boots of Travel is sometimes picked up during the late game, allowing Brewmaster to jump in and initiate from across the map.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Brewmaster, like Storm Spirit, Ember Spirit and Earth Spirit, was a Pandaren in DotA. However, he was re-skinned due to copyright issues with Blizzard Entertainment. His design is similar to that of a red panda, rather than the giant panda that the Pandaren in DotA were based on.
- Most of Brewmaster's abilities were derived from the Warcraft III neutral hero of the same name, with Thunder Clap borrowed from the hero Mountain King being the only new ability.
- Primal Split's Play sound effect upon spawning the 3 spirits is based on this Play laughter response line of Brewmaster. The line is played twice, the second time being at a lower pitch and having an echo.