From Dota 2 Wiki
| Blade Mail|
|A razor-sharp coat of mail, it is the choice of selfless martyrs in combat.|
Additional information[edit | edit source]
- One Blade Mail grants a total of 6 armor, 120 mana, 0.4 mana regeneration, 0.625% spell damage and 22 (32 to intelligence heroes) attack damage.
Ability[edit | edit source]
- Interrupts the owner's channeling spells upon cast.
- Returns the same damage type as received.
- Returns incoming damage before all manipulations.
- The return damage which the enemy takes is affected by damage manipulation normally, since it is regular magical/physical/pure damage still.
- Returned damage has the no-reflection flag, preventing its damage from interacting with other sources of damage with the same flag.
- Fully ignores self-inflicted damage, and damage flagged as HP Removal.
- Returns damage back to the source. This means damage done by summons is reflected back to the summons, not to their owner.
Recommended heroes[edit | edit source]Axe
- If taking Counter Helix damage was not enough of a punishment for attacking the Axe, then Blade Mail will make the same people cry tears. Few heroes can stomach taking damage from both abilities early on, and Blade Mail retains the same lethality in the late game unlike Counter Helix which scales off.
- On the side note, Blade Mail gives Axe much needed points in Intelligence early on, allowing him to cast a bit more before running out of juice.
- Tresdin is, hands down, one of the best - if not the best - carrier of Blade Mail in the game. Her ultimate ability, Duel, forces enemies to engage her head-on and attack her without pause, maximizing Blade Mail's efficiency if it's in her possesion. Coupled together with her above average health pool, this combo is deadly from start to finish.
- Similar to Axe and Legion Commander, Clockwerk can stop heroes from running away from him and forces out engagements while continously barraging the enemy with Battery Assault. Having Blade Mail makes it so much worse for them as Clockwerk's high heatlh pool makes it very unlikely that he will die first
- Clockwerk also benefits from all the stats Blade Mail provides.
- The extra armor is very needed as Clockwerk is otherwise short in armor
- The extra attack damage let him hit harder with his right-click
- Clockwerk suffers badly from a miniature mana pool, so the extra Intelligence points are very needed.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Having more armor than your enemy allows to return more physical damage than you take, since it gets reflected before reductions. Assault Cuirass is the best item in combination you can get with Blade Mail as it gives armor and armor reduction.
- It can be useful to get Blade Mail if you get outcarried, to counter the DPS and turn the enemy's damage against them.
- Buy it as a counter if the opposing team has high damage (crits, nukes or attack speed) and have low health. If timed properly, some heroes can get killed just from their own damage. And even if you cannot do that, it could make the enemy hesitant to attack you for 4.5 seconds.
- A good situation to use Blade Mail is if you're inflicted with a heavy damage over time ability. For example, you can kill (or severely damage) Bloodseeker by walking around with Rupture, or Tinker by staying under his March of the Machines. However, do make sure that you yourself can take the damage you'll be receiving, else you'll just be helping the enemy instead.
- The return is only dealt to the unit who attacks. Therefore, Techies' mines and Witch Doctor's Death Ward and Shadow Shaman's Serpant Ward won't affect their main hero as they are considered a separate unit.
- This is a commonly bought item for initiator Heroes that can soak up some damage (commonly Strength heroes), such as Clockwerk or Spirit Breaker.
- Blade Mail is less effective with evasion because it reduces the hits you receive.
- It also loses effectiveness against enemies who can turn themselves or their allies invulnerable with abilities like Phase Shift or Astral Imprisonment, or with Eul's Scepter of Divinity, as Blade Mail cannot damage invulnerable units.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Icon when Molten Claw is equipped