Batrider is a ranged intelligence hero who excels in lane control and harassing enemies, especially in the early phase of the game. Usually, Batrider is played as a heavy support, items are not needed to utilise his abilities. Batrider is a mobile burst damage raider, capable of dealing enormous amounts of damage on stacks, at a risky close range. Before moving in for the kill, the Batrider hinders his targets with Sticky Napalm, a stacking debuff ability that slows his enemies and amplifies the damage taken from Batrider himself, be it with attacks, spells, or items. When his enemies are greatly crippled, he is ready to attack. With Flamebreak, he launches an explosive cocktail which damages and knocks back enemies in a targeted area. Then, the Batrider activates his Firefly ability, allowing the Batrider to fly high in the sky, creating a burning trail of liquid fire, scorching enemies who dare to go in his path, while giving him the ability to cross and phase through impassable grounds. With Sticky Napalm stacked, he is capable of amplifying and inflicting massive damage quickly, burning them with Flamebreak and Firefly. The Batrider then uses his ultimate, Flaming Lasso, which catches a target with a lasso, shackling and pulling them to his Firefly trail or to the clutches of his merciless allies. When these spells are used altogether, the Batrider is a dangerous hero that the enemy should be aware of, risking his own safety enough to cause fiery chaos and mass destruction.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Batrider excels in his lane in the early game, and plays as a highly mobile, damage dealing Hero. His Sticky Napalm slows targets and increases his damage against them, and can stack up to 10 times. Once properly coated, Batrider can stun a target and leave them open with his Flamebreak, which knocks back and deals high damage. He can use this to clear out more dangerous enemies, and disrupt targets while he moves in for the kill. His last two abilities, Firefly and Flaming Lasso work best together. Firefly allows him to move over any terrain, leaving a trail of fire behind him that burns enemies and destroys trees. Flaming Lasso pulls the target enemy behind him and into his allies. When used together, it allows him to pull an enemy into his fire, igniting them, and dealing significant damage.
Batrider's lane dominance comes from his Sticky Napalm, which makes last hitting a cinch, and Flamebreak, which knocks enemy Heroes away from the creep wave. He can also harass easily, by stacking Sticky Napalm on a target and either knocking them with Flamebreak, flying over them with Firefly, or by doing both to deal massive damage. His high attribute gains make him very dangerous, as he cannot only tank a lot of damage, but can also output a lot with his large Mana supply. Batrider can also gank very easily, able to appear from anywhere with his Firefly ability, push an enemy with Flamebreak, and then immediately grab them with Flaming Lasso. In teamfights, he can also very easily isolate an enemy and remove them temporarily, while still dealing tons of damage to the enemy team by flying past with Firefly. He is not very item-dependent, only requiring a blink dagger to be effective, though greatly benefits from items that provide health and mana for him to deal significant damage to enemy units who are amplified by Sticky Napalm, cast his spells long enough, and for him to function as a potent semi-carry with his spells.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Applies a debuff to enemies inside the area. Leaving or entering the area afterwards has no effect.
- Each cast refreshes the duration of the whole stack while adding one more instance.
- The debuff slows and causes the damage. It also shows the amount of current Sticky Napalm stacks on the target.
- Affected units also have a number above them, showing the amount of stacks. This number is only visible to Batrider and his allies, however, they require vision over the target to see it.
- Can slow movement speed for up to 30%/50%/70%/90%. One stack is enough to apply the 70% turn rate slow.
- Can deal up to 100/150/200/250 (50/75/100/125 to creeps) damage per triggering damage instance (before reductions).
- Sticky Napalm triggers on any damage instance caused by Batrider, except from Orb of Venom, Radiance and Urn of Shadows.
- It also does not trigger on any damage which has the no-reflection flag.
- Batrider himself has to cause the damage. Other units under his control do not trigger Sticky Napalm.
- Sticky Napalm deals its damage in a separate damage instance, right after the triggering damage.
- Provides 400 radius flying vision at the targeted point upon cast for 2 seconds.
- Flamebreak travels at a speed of 900 until reaching the targeted point.
- The projectile has 175 radius flying vision. This vision does not last.
- The knockback is not a set distance. The knockback pushes every enemy so they are 400 range away from the center of the targeted area. So the minimum knockback distance is 25.
- The knockback duration is always the same, so the speed varies between 100 (25 knockback distance) and 1600 (400 knockback distance).
- Enemies are not disabled during the knockback, and are, besides moving, able to act freely during it.
- Can push units over impassable terrain. Any tree a knocked back unit collides with gets destroyed.
- Applies a debuff to the affected targets upon projectile impact which deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after it is placed, resulting in 4/5/6/7 total instances.
- Can deal up to 100/150/210/280 damage (before reductions).
- The debuff from successive casts does not stack, only the duration gets refreshed.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps.
- Does not affect Roshan.
- Firefly interrupts Batrider's channeling spells upon cast.
- Temporarily turns Batrider into a flying unit, allowing him to fly over impassable terrain, units and buildings and have flying vision.
- The entire spell effect lasts 18 seconds, meaning when the duration ends, the entire flame trail disappears as well.
- Damage is dealt to every enemy unit which comes within 200 radius of the fire trail.
- Deals 5/15/25/35 damage in 0.4 or 0.5 seconds intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, the first interval is 0.4 seconds, the rest are 0.5 seconds, resulting in 37 damage instances.
- Can deal up to 185/555/925/1295 damage to a single unit (before reductions) when it stays in range for the full duration.
- During Firefly, every tree within 100 radius of Batrider is destroyed.
- The fire trails from successive casts fully stack. Each cast creates its own fire trail.
- When Batrider dies during Firefly, the fire trail still stays for the remaining duration.
- During Firefly, Batrider can neither trigger, nor takes damage from Land Mines.
- Does not affect Roshan.
- Flaming Lasso fully disables the target for its duration.
- Drags the targeted unit with a 300 distance behind Batrider. Can drag the target over impassable terrain.
- If at any time the distance between Batrider and the target get greater than 400, the lasso breaks.
- Flaming Lasso overrides every other position changing effect, making only teleports able to break the lasso.
- The lasso also breaks when either Batrider or the target dies. Casting Dismember or Walrus Kick on the lasso target breaks the lasso as well.
- Batrider is disarmed during Flaming Lasso. The disarm either lasts 3/3.5/4 seconds, or until the lasso is broken, whichever is shorter.
- It is possible to have multiple units lassoed at the same time (e.g. by using Refresher Orb).
- Can be cast on Roshan, but he neither is disabled nor dragged ( nor damaged). Batrider is still disarmed.
- Aghanim's Scepter causes the closest allied hero (including creep-heroes and illusions) of the target within a 400 range to get lassoed as well. It does not lasso any non-hero units.
- The secondary target is bound to the first, so it is dragged after it, at the same distance as the primary target is dragged behind Batrider.
- This means the secondary target is dragged 600 distance behind Batrider.
- The secondary lasso breaks when the primary lasso breaks. It can also be broken individually (with teleports or strong dispels).
- The damage added by Aghanim's Scepter affects both lassoed targets.
- Deals 50 damage in 0.5 seconds intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in 6/7/8 possible instances.
- Can deal up to 300/350/400 damage to each lassoed unit (before reductions).
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tangoes gives needed health regeneration during the laning phase.
- Iron Branch gives cheap health, mana, and damage and can later be built into a Magic Wand.
- Urn of Shadows gives more killing power and sustainability.
- Tranquil Boots is mandatory for an offlane batrider, providing a source of HP regen to allow him to remain on lane.
- Blink Dagger is essential for Batrider as both Firefly and Flaming Lasso require deliberate positioning to be effective.
- Arcane Boots can be a good pickup for Batrider because he is mana dependent early game.
- Force Staff can be used while lassoing a target, allowing you to drag them even further.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a great pickup for Batrider. It gives you movement speed to improve Lasso effect, mana regen to help spam your abilities and also another disable to help in teamfights or to disjoint projectiles.
- Boots of Travel gives unmatched global presence and the extra movement speed allows Batrider to drag enemies farther during his ultimate.
- Black King Bar prevents Batrider from being stopped by most stuns meaning he can drag the target further out of position without dying as quickly himself.
- Aghanim's Scepter seems pretty expensive on Batrider, but it can prove itself seriously efficiency. Because, it allows him to catch two heroes instead of one, and if it haves Refresher Orb, it can catch two more, which means he can become a real threat to grouped heroes on low HP.
- Octarine Core can be bought in late game as a luxury item, which will give you a much higher health and mana pool supplying health and mana regen, magic lifesteal which will fit with Firefly and Flamebreak and also will reduce your cooldowns allowing for an even better spam of all skills.
- Shiva's Guard has an interesting active that fits nicely in your initiator role. The slow it does can prevent your enemies from reacting on your initiation, the damage it deals can put their Blink Daggers on cooldown. The +15 armor and +30 intelligence is always nice to have...
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Batrider is occasionally referred to as "Batman" in game, mostly due to the recent popularity of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy starring Christian Bale and Gary Oldman.
- Batrider's real name in DotA was Jin'zakk.
- After killing Faceless Void, Batrider says Play "Hey Void! Have you seen Bat to the Future?", which is a reference to the film "Back to The Future"
- Batrider's concept may well be based on Project X-Ray, a military strategy developed during World War II which involved using bats equipped with small, timed, napalm-like incendiaries to decimate towns (See Alexis C. Madrigal's "Old, Weird Tech: The Bat Bombs of World War II," in The Atlantic, 14 April 2011).