From Dota 2 Wiki
|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
- Berserker's Call prevents Anti-Mage from escaping with Blink, and works well with Blade Mail against Anti-Mage's relatively low health.
- Counter Helix deals pure damage, ignoring the protection from Spell Shield.
- Axe's high base health regeneration allows him to dominate the lane against Anti-Mage, especially with a support.
- Fiend's Grip's very long disable prevents Anti-Mage from Blinking away or using Manta Style. It also pierces spell immunity.
- Nightmare sets Bane's team up for chain disables on Anti-Mage.
- Rupture deals damage through Blink, dissuading Anti-Mage from using it. This allows Bloodseeker to get early kills on Anti-Mage, preventing him from snowballing.
- Blood Rite silences Anti-Mage during teamfights, preventing him from Blinking away.
- Bloodseeker's abilities also deal pure damage, which bypasses Spell Shield.
- Doom shuts down Anti-Mage's escape capabilities with Blink. The ability also deals pure damage, which ignores the protection from Spell Shield.
- With Aghanim's Scepter, Anti-Mage loses his Mana Break and Spell Shield, weakening both his offense and defense.
- Doom's low mana pool causes him to take little damage from Mana Void.
- Gust stops Anti-Mage from Blinking away.
- Marksmanship lets Drow Ranger hit harder than Anti-Mage, allowing her to overwhelm him in the early to mid game.
- Duel renders Anti-Mage's escape capabilities with Blink useless. A good initiation from Legion Commander and her team is enough to kill Anti-Mage without trouble.
- Multiple Earthbinds allow Meepo to lock down Anti-Mage almost indefinitely.
- Meepo's clones can only use their mana for Poof, keeping their mana pool nearly full and thus making them a bad target for a Mana Void.
- Crippling Fear makes Night Stalker one of the best early game gankers to shut down Anti-Mage.
- However, he deals little damage against Anti-Mage in the late game.
- Arcane Orb's pure damage goes through Spell Shield, and deals high damage to illusions spawned from Manta Style.
- Sanity's Eclipse hits Anti-Mage while he is disabled with Astral Imprisonment, and forces him to take heavy damage due to his low intelligence.
- Essence Aura keeps Outworld Devourer and his teammates at high mana, thus greatly reducing the damage from Mana Void.
- Phantom Assassin has an abysmal mana pool and intelligence gain, causing Mana Break and Mana Void to deal minimal damage.
- Blur reduces Anti-Mage's damage against Phantom Assassin, and forces him to buy a Monkey King Bar.
- Coup de Grace's physical damage burst often kills Anti-Mage before he has a chance to Blink.
- Slithereen Crush and Bash of the Deep prevent Anti-Mage from using Blink, the latter even if Anti-Mage activates Black King Bar.
- Corrosive Haze allows allies to take down Anti-Mage before he has a chance to Blink, and maintains vision over him even if he does Blink away.
- Disruption sets up Anti-Mage for a chain disable.
- Soul Catcher causes Anti-Mage to take much more damage, and can hit him when he is inside Disruption.
- Shadow Poison hits Anti-Mage even after he's Blinked away.
- Refraction protects against Anti-Mage's low burst damage, and allows her to win most fights against Anti-Mage during the early game.
- Meld's burst damage and armor reduction is often enough to finish Anti-Mage before he Blinks away.
- Craggy Exterior stuns Anti-Mage repeatedly in teamfights.
- Avalanche and Toss's burst damage kills Anti-Mage the early game before he can Blink, shutting down his farm.
- Aghanim's Scepter's cleave damage clears out Anti-Mage's Manta Style illusions.
- Troll Warlord's passive bash, combined with his high attack speed, prevents Anti-Mage from Blinking away.
- Kunkka can bring Anti-Mage back with X Marks the Spot, effectively negating Blink or forcing him to wait out the debuff before Blinking.
- Huskar's natural magic resistence and reliance on health instead of mana makes him very resistant against Mana Void. He is a proficient early ganker against Anti-Mage, but struggles to deal significant damage against Anti-Mage in the late game.
- Sven's low mana pool means that Mana Break and Mana Void will deal little damage to him. His Great Cleave quickly clears up illusions from Manta Style.
- Terrorblade overwhelms Anti-Mage with Conjure Image and Manta Style illusions, and turns Mana Break against him with Reflection.
- Heroes with abilities or items that can silence or disable Anti-Mage for long periods of time will prevent him from Blinking away: Silencer, Shadow Shaman, Death Prophet, Clinkz, Riki, Broodmother, Skywrath Mage
- Black King Bar protects against Mana Break and Mana Void.
- Linken's Sphere blocks Mana Void, and can be used on vulnerable teammates.
- Arcane Boots keeps the team's mana high, reducing the damage from Mana Void.
- Scythe of Vyse prevents Anti-Mage from Blinking away.
- Abyssal Blade prevents Anti-Mage from Blinking away.
- Orchid Malevolence prevents Anti-Mage from Blinking away.
Good against...Ancient Apparition
- Anti-Mage easily Blinks out of Ice Blast's radius.
- Anti-Mage Blinks directly into Magnetic Field, bypassing its protection.
- Anti-Mage's high mobility allows him to deal with Tempest Double while it is split-pushing.
- Anti-Mage's Battle Fury cleans up Arc Warden's Necronomicon summons, and Spell Shield protects him from Necronomicon Warrior's Last Will.
- Anti-Mage can Blink into or out of Power Cogs, negating Clockwerk's initiation and bypassing his defenses.
- Anti-Mage easily destroys Mana Shield with Mana Break, especially once he has Manta Style.
- Anti-Mage effectively avoids Stone Gaze with Blink, and can reinitiate after its duration is over.
- Mana Break stops Morphling from using Morph effectively.
- Morphling tends to buy attributes bonus items like Eye of Skadi and Manta Style, which makes Mana Break and Mana Void deal much more damage.
- Morphling's mobility is ineffective against Anti-Mage, as Blink is superior to Waveform and Mana Break quickly drains enough mana to prevent Morphling from escaping with Morph Replicate.
- Anti-Mage dispels Phoenix's slows with Manta Style.
- Anti-Mage can Blink directly next to Supernova, giving him more time to destroy the egg.
- Pugna only deals magical damage, which Anti-Mage is exceptionally resistant to due to Spell Shield.
- Anti-Mage can purge Decrepify with Manta Style.
- Pugna has a very large mana pool. This allows Anti-Mage to constantly deal bonus damage to Pugna with Mana Break and devastate Pugna's entire team with Mana Void.
- Spectre cannot chase down Anti-Mage with Spectral Dagger because of Blink, though it still grants her team vision over him.
- Spell Shield reduces much of the damage from Dispersion and Spectre's Radiance.
- Anti-Mage usually builds a Manta Style, preventing Spectre from dealing any Desolate damage to him once he summons his illusions.
- Because of the high mana cost of Ball Lightning, Storm Spirit is often vulnerable to Mana Void.
- Mana Break diminishes Storm Spirit's mobility with Ball Lightning, and Anti-Mage can catch him with Blink over short distances.
- Almost all of Storm Spirit's damage is magical, which is reduced by Spell Shield.
- Tombstone's zombies rarely inhibit Anti-Mage, as he can Blink away or onto the Tombstone and destroy it.
- Venomancer's damage-over-time abilities do little damage against Spell Shield.
- Blink helps Anti-Mage get away from Venomancer's slows.
- Mana Break quickly eats away at Wraith King's small mana pool, preventing Reincarnation from triggering.
- Wraith King has no innate mobility. Even with Blink Dagger, Wraith King is easily kited by Blink.
- Anti-Mage can farm much more quickly than Wraith King, allowing Anti-Mage to overpower Wraith King once a significant farm advantage is established.
- Zeus deals almost all magical damage, which is heavily reduced by Spell Shield.
- Zeus' complete lack of mobility makes him very easy for Anti-Mage to chase down with Blink.
- Zeus likes to stand in the back during teamfight, but Anti-Mage can easily Blink to close the distance.
- Anti-Mage can withstand magical burst damage much better than other carries, making him effective against nukers like Lich, Necrophos, Oracle, and Leshrac.
- Anti-Mage's high mobility from Blink and tendency to build Battle Fury makes him strong against split-pushing heroes like Nature's Prophet, Tinker, and Arc Warden.
- Heroes who have build mana boosting items but have low mana regeneration are especially vulnerable against Mana Break and Mana Void: Timbersaw, Slark, Shadow Fiend, Clinkz, Bristleback Nyx Assassin, Magnus
Works well with...Bane
- Fiend's Grip allows Anti-Mage to attack an enemy with impunity, and its mana drain sets Anti-Mage up for a very effective Mana Void.
- Track keeps an eye on gankers, allowing Anti-Mage to avoid danger and farm safely, or pursue a dying enemy.
- Blink helps Anti-Mage hunt down Tracked heroes.
- Shallow Grave gives Anti-Mage the extra time needed to Blink away and survive losing fights.
- Vacuum helps Anti-Mage hit multiple enemies with Mana Void.
- EMP drains mana from the enemies, allowing Anti-Mage to deal massive damage with Mana Void.
- Alacrity used on Anti-Mage is very effective due to his fast base attack time and Mana Break.
- Mana Drain helps Anti-Mage deal more damage with Mana Void.
- Hex and Earth Spike locks down enemies and compensates for Anti-Mage's lack of disables.
- Magnus' early game nuke potential with Shockwave and Skewer creates space for Anti-Mage to farm.
- Empower help Anti-Mage farm substantially faster and dish out more damage during teamfights.
- Reverse Polarity can cluster enemies up for a devastating Mana Void.
- Repel acts like a free Black King Bar for Anti-Mage, allowing him to farm other items and jump into fights.
- Spell Shield negates Purifying Flames's damage, making it a very effective heal on Anti-Mage.
- Disruption can save Anti-Mage from dangerous abilities, and creates extra illusions for Anti-Mage, which benefit from Mana Break and Spell Shield. This is especially useful when pushing.
- Corrosive Haze not only helps Anti-Mage deal more damage, it also keeps vision over a target for him to pursue with Blink.
- Living Armor helps Anti-Mage split push, and allows him to farm alone in lane, helping him get more experience.
- Heroes who can reduce the enemy's mana will set Anti-Mage up for a hard-hitting Mana Void: Nyx Assassin, Invoker, Lion, Bane
- Heroes who can group or keep enemies together will help Anti-Mage hit multiple targets with Mana Void: Disruptor, Puck, Enigma, Magnus, Dark Seer
- Because Anti-Mage has decent resistance to physical damage and great resistance to magical damage, he gets good value from healing heroes: Abaddon, Chen, Dazzle, Omniknight, Treant Protector.
- Aggressive mid-lane or offlane heroes can help create space for Anti-Mage's farming: Tusk, Bloodseeker, Queen of Pain
Works poorly with...Alchemist
- Anti-Mage and Alchemist both like to flash-farm the jungle during the early mid-game, but sharing the jungle between the two renders both heroes under-farmed come mid-game.
- Alchemist is a type of mid hero who cannot gank early and has to farm for a while. If Anti-Mage gets shut down in lane, there isn't much Alchemist can do.