Anti-Mage is a fast melee Agility Carry with an emphasis on disabling and killing high-mana enemies. He has notably high agility and low base attack time, giving him high damage and scaling with his basic attacks. His signature ability is Mana Break, a passive attack modifier that makes him a huge threat to mana-reliant heroes, mainly Intelligence-based casters. In addition to granting substantial bonus damage on each attack, its mana burn sets enemies up to be devastated by his ultimate ability, Mana Void. Blink is a highly versatile ability that allows Anti-Mage to instantly teleport short distances, thereby allowing him to escape, chase, and even farm with ease. Combined with his high base movement speed, this makes Anti-Mage a highly mobile hero at all points in the game. Spell Shield greatly increases Anti-Mage's magic resistance, allowing him to sustain more damage from enemy casters. Finally, Mana Void finishes off targets after their mana has been burned, inflicting heavy damage to both the target and enemies surrounding the target. The damage Mana Void can potentially deal scales extremely well into the late game, as enemies' mana pools only grow larger over time. His naturally fast basic attacks combined with his powerful abilities make him extremely dangerous in the late game, allowing him to devastate enemies with ease if he is allowed to farm as a hard carry.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Burns an opponent's mana on each attack. Mana Break deals 60% of the mana burned as damage to the target.|
|Mana Burned per Hit: 28/40/52/64|
Burned Mana as Damage: 60%
|A modified technique of the Turstarkuri monks' peaceful ways is to turn magical energies on their owner.|
- The damage is directly added to Anti-Mage's attack damage.
- Deals up to 16.8/24/31.2/38.4 damage per hit (before reductions).
- Anti-Mage can lifesteal the damage dealt by Mana Break when the lifesteal comes from a non-Unique Attack Modifier source (e.g. Vampiric Aura, Vladmir's Offering).
- The damage dealt by Mana Break cannot crit or cleave and cannot be increased by attack damage increasing effects like Empower or the Double Damage Rune.
- Applies the mana loss first, and then the damage.
|Short distance teleportation that allows Anti-Mage to move in and out of combat.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: Global
Max Blink Distance: 925/1000/1075/1150
|In his encounter with the Dead Gods, Anti-Mage learned the value of being elusive.|
|Increases Anti-Mage's resistance to magic damage.|
|Magic Resistance Bonus: 26%/34%/42%/50%|
|Years of meditation and obsession with revenge have hardened Anti-Mage's skin against mystical opponents.|
- Stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Increases Anti-Mage's total base magic resistance to 44.50%/50.50%/56.50%/62.50%.
|For each point of mana missing by the target unit, damage is dealt to it and surrounding enemies. The main target is also mini-stunned.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 600
Damage per Missing Mana: 0.6/0.85/1.1
Stun Duration: 0.3
Stunned: Dispellable with strong dispels.
|After bringing enemies to their knees, Anti-Mage punishes them for their use of the arcane arts.|
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- The damage is calculated based on the primary target's mana, but applied to all enemies within the radius.
- Only the primary target gets stunned.
- Can be cast on units without a mana pool, applying the mini-stun only.
- Plays a sound effect during the cast time, which is audible to everyone.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tangoes help provide Anti-Mage with health regeneration in the early game.
- Healing Salve will give Anti-Mage a massive boost of health regeneration.
- Iron Branches will give Anti-Mage an additional attribute boost in the lane, and can be built into Magic Wand.
- Stout Shield will allow Anti-Mage to take a few more hits from enemies when taking last hits in lane. Anti-Mage will often build this in a Poor Man's Shield.
- Boots of Speed give Anti-Mage a speed boost which can be helpful for getting around.
- Magic Stick is a good idea to pick up if the enemy is using a lot of spells since that gives Anti-Mage a lot of regeneration in case of emergency.
- Ring of Health provides Anti-Mage with decent HP regeneration in the early game, and can later be built into a Battle Fury .
- Power Treads provide Anti-Mage with attack speed and attributes, allowing for a substantial increase in damage and durability.
- Magic Wand provides Anti-Mage with more attributes and good HP and mana regeneration if the enemy is using a lot of spells.
- Yasha provides agility and movement speed to Anti-Mage, and can be built into a Manta Style.
- Battle Fury provides Anti-Mage with HP and mana regeneration, and gives Anti-Mage a cleave that allows Anti-Mage to farm faster and push faster.
- Town Portal Scroll is always a good idea to have on Anti-Mage at all times, as it allows Anti-Mage to easily escape from enemy ganks if Anti-Mage is out of position.
- Manta Style provides attributes that benefit Anti-Mage very well. The illusions benefit from Mana Break, greatly improving Anti-Mage damage, pushing potential and mana-burning capabilities. Additionally, the split allows Anti-Mage to dodge and remove spell effects, which can be useful in combat or when escaping.
- Abyssal Blade gives Anti-Mage a damage boost, a chance to stun enemies when attacking, and a guaranteed stun that goes through magic immunity. It also gives Anti-Mage a small amount of strength that will increase his health pool.
- Butterfly offers a very substantial damage boost as Anti-Mage is an agility hero, it also gives Anti-Mage armor, evasion and additional attack speed on top of the attack speed gained from the agility on the item.
- Heart of Tarrasque increases the health pool of Anti-Mage massively, which gives Anti-Mage a lot more survivability.
- Vladmir's Offering is the only way for Anti-Mage to have lifesteal since Mana Break is a Unique Attack Modifier. The lifesteal and damage boost benefits both Anti-Mage and Anti-Mage's teammates throughout the entire duration of the game.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Anti-Mage's real name in DotA was Magina; in Dota 2, his name was removed for unspecified reasons.
- Anti-Mage's alternative name, "BurNIng", is a tribute to the professional DotA player BurNIng.
- In DotA, Anti-Mage and Terrorblade were brothers. This was to be kept in Dota 2 based on certain responses Anti-Mage made in Terrorblade's presence, but upon Terrorblade's release, these relations were severed and thus the lines went unused.
- In DotA, Anti-Mage was blind, due to the model of the Warcraft III character he used, Illidan Stormrage, who was blind.