| Animal Courier|
|Losing the courier is punishable by death.|
- Animal Courier is completely shareable.
- Animal Courier has a 2 minutes stock cooldown.
- Animal Courier can be upgraded to a Flying Courier.
- Interrupts the user's channeling spells upon cast.
- The Animal Courier is not a valid target for most spells. A list of spells which affect the courier can be found below.
- It is possible to have multiple Animal Couriers. However, only the first created courier reacts on the courier button.
- All couriers are controllable by the entire team, no matter who buys and deploys the courier.
- When a courier dies, the opposing team's heroes get 175 gold each. If there already is a dead courier, no gold is granted.
- However, an enemy making the killing blow on a courier always gets the 175 gold bounty.
- When an Animal Courier dies, it respawns in 120 seconds at the team's fountain. While dead, items in its inventory are inaccessible.
Like a hero, the courier possesses 6 inventory slots and 3 backpack slots. However, it has restrictions. Almost every item gets muted when in the courier's inventory, rendering all their stats and abilities disabled and unusable for the courier. Muted items are darkened out in its inventory. The following items are not muted:
- Animal Courier
- Dust of Appearance
- Gem of True Sight
- Observer and Sentry Wards
- Ring of Health
- Ring of Regen
- Sage's Mask
- Smoke of Deceit
- Tango (Shared)
- Void Stone
However, only a few of them can be actually used by the Flying Courier.
- The courier can use Tango (Shared) and Cheese and benefits from the health regeneration granted by Ring of Regen, Ring of Health and Perseverance.
- The courier has no mana pool and mana regeneration. So Sage's Mask, Void Stone and the mana regen part of Perseverance are useless for it. This also means that it cannot use Town Portal Scroll.
- The courier is not able to place or share Observer Wards and Sentry Wards. Trying to do so will give the "Item is not usable by Couriers" error message.
- It also can activate Dust of Appearance and Smoke of Deceit, but the last does not affect the courier.
- The Bottle can be "used". Using it puts it on its short cooldown, but does not use up a charge and does not regenerate. This goes for using it on self or on allies with the CTRL key.
- Despite not being muted, Gem of True Sight does not provide True Sight when carried by the Flying Courier.
- It is possible to buy a Divine Rapier with the Flying Courier and it can drop the Rapier. However, it cannot pick it back up again, as it cannot pick up Rapiers in general. It cannot pick up the Aegis of the Immortal either.
- Both Gem of True Sight and Divine Rapier are dropped when a Flying Courier carrying them is killed.
- When using Animal Courier from the courier's inventory, the new spawned courier will use the default donkey courier model.
- Even when the secret shop on the enemy side of the map is closer, the courier still chooses the secret shop on its team's side of the map.
- The courier walks as close as possible to the shop keeper.
- When the courier has no items in its inventory, it stands still for a split second when casting this and then continues doing what it was doing previously.
- The courier walks to the same spot as with Return to Base. But the items are already put into the stash when 700 range away from the shop.
- When the player has no items in its stash, it gives the "No Items To Retrieve From Stash" error message and does not interrupt the courier.
- Retrieves the items from the stash when getting within 700 range of the shop keeper. When the items are retrieved, the courier stops.
- When the courier has no items in its inventory to transfer, it stands still for a split second when casting this and then continues doing what it was doing previously.
- After delivering the items, the courier automatically gets the Return to Base order.
Abilities affecting couriers
A couple of spells affect the courier the same ways as they do spell immune units. Positive auras with bonus health regeneration or armor work as well. Movement speed bonuses are ignored because the Animal Courier is set to fixed 350:
- Dazzle – Shadow Wave
- Juggernaut – Healing Ward
- Lich – Ice Armor
- Luna – Eclipse
- Necrophos – Death Pulse
- Ogre Magi – Bloodlust
- Pugna – Life Drain
- Riki – Blink Strike
- Treant Protector – Living Armor
- Warlock – Shadow Word
- Witch Doctor – Voodoo Restoration
- Ancient Black Dragon – Dragonhide Aura
- Hill Troll Priest – Heal
- Satyr Tormenter – Unholy Aura
- Wildwing Ripper – Toughness Aura
- Assault Cuirass – Assault Aura
- Buckler – Armor Bonus
- Guardian Greaves – Guardian Aura
- Guardian Greaves – Mend
- Headdress – Regeneration Aura
- Medallion of Courage – Valor
- Mekansm – Mekansm Aura
- Mekansm – Restore
- Mjollnir – Static Charge
- Pipe of Insight – Insight Aura
- Ring of Aquila – Aquila Aura
- Ring of Basilius – Basilius Aura
- Solar Crest – Shine
- Vladmir's Offering – Vladmir's Aura
Enemy unit and item abilities that affect the courier:
- Abaddon – Curse of Avernus
- Anti-Mage – Mana Void
- Axe – Counter Helix
- Axe – Culling Blade2
- Bane – Fiend's Grip
- Batrider – Flaming Lasso1
- Beastmaster – Primal Roar
- Boar – Poison
- Bounty Hunter – Jinada
- Bounty Hunter – Shadow Walk
- Brewmaster – Drunken Brawler
- Chaos Knight – Chaos Strike
- Clinkz – Searing Arrows
- Death Prophet – Spirit Siphon
- Dragon Knight – Elder Dragon Form (Splash & Frost Breath)
- Drow Ranger – Marksmanship (Scepter Upgrade)1
- Earthshaker – Enchant Totem
- Earthshaker – Echo Slam
- Enigma – Black Hole
- Faceless Void – Time Lock
- Gyrocopter – Flak Cannon1
- Juggernaut – Blade Dance
- Lich – Chain Frost1
- Lifestealer – Feast
- Lina – Laguna Blade (Scepter Upgrade)
- Luna – Moon Glaive
- Lycan – Shapeshift (Critical Strike)
- Magnus – Reverse Polarity
- Medusa – Split Shot
- Naga Siren – Ensnare
- Necrophos – Death Pulse
- Nyx Assassin – Vendetta
- Omniknight – Repel
- Phantom Assassin – Coup de Grace
- Pudge – Dismember
- Queen of Pain – Sonic Wave
- Riki – Cloak and Dagger
- Sand King – Epicenter
- Shadow Demon – Demonic Purge
- Shadow Fiend – Presence of the Dark Lord
- Shadow Shaman – Mass Serpent Ward
- Slardar – Bash of the Deep
- Slardar – Corrosive Haze
- Sniper – Assassinate
- Spiderling – Poison Sting
- Spirit Breaker – Greater Bash
- Spirit Breaker – Nether Strike
- Sven – Warcry
- Techies – Proximity Mines
- Templar Assassin – Refraction
- Templar Assassin – Meld
- Treant Protector – Nature's Guise
- Troll Warlord – Berserker's Rage
- Tusk – Frozen Sigil
- Tusk – Walrus PUNCH!
- Ursa – Fury Swipes
- Venomancer – Poison Sting
- Viper – Nethertoxin
- Viper – Viper Strike
- Warlock – Chaotic Offering
- Warlock's Golem – Flaming Fists
- Weaver – Geminate Attack
- Windranger – Focus Fire
- Wraith King – Mortal Strike
- Abyssal Blade – Bash
- Abyssal Blade – Overwhelm
- Assault Cuirass – Assault Aura
- Crystalys – Critical Strike
- Daedalus – Critical Strike
- Desolator – Corruption
- Eye of Skadi – Cold Attack
- Orb of Venom – Poison Attack
- Shadow Blade – Shadow Walk
- Silver Edge – Shadow Walk
- Skull Basher – Bash
1 Has an effect when primary target, but the courier is never a valid secondary target ( Flaming Lasso when upgraded).
2 Couriers are always under the health threshold, and thus are always instantly killed, giving the move speed bonus. However, Culling Blade's cooldown is NOT reset.