Kaldr the Ancient Apparition is a ranged intelligence hero. This spell-casting elemental being possesses high range, great attributes and strong semi-spammable spells. He is commonly played in a support role due to the nature of his skills. Cold Feet places a debuff on an enemy which will stun the unit unless it leaves the area the skill was cast. This can be devastating in conjunction with other disables. Ice Vortex applies a big slow and magic damage amplification to all units that stand in it. This is great in combination with Chilling Touch. This buffs allied heroes to hit for a large amount of extra magic damage. His ultimate, Ice Blast is one of the most devastating spells in the game as it has global range and has larger radius the farther away the blast is from the caster. This does large damage, freezes health regeneration of any kind, and instantly kills units low on life.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Ancient Apparition is considered an efficient ganker for his very powerful abilities, despite each of them requiring precision and good timing to reach their full potential. Because his spells work very well with those of other heroes, a good ganking partner can easily ensure kills on most heroes. Kaldr is also a good support because of his Chilling Touch ability, which gives a large amount of bonus magic damage to his teammates' attacks, but more importantly for his Ice Vortex, which slows and helps him and his team deal more damage. He can also be an Initiator by using his ultimate, but to do so effectively requires more strategy and coordination with your team.
Ancient Apparition is recommended for Intermediate/Advanced players because he requires large amounts of map knowledge to maximize the use of his ultimate, but also to avoid getting ganked because he does not have any true escape mechanism. Because his abilities are most powerful when cast in succession, pulling off quick ability combos is very helpful. Consequently, he requires lots of mana management because casting all of his spells in combination can consume a lot of mana, which can leave you unable to cast any more spells until you replenish.
Ancient Apparition can solo mid fairly effectively because of his lane dominance through harassing and denying using Chilling Touch, but side-laning is most viable, especially with a partner who can disable. He shines most during the Early & Mid-Game phases because his abilities are naturally strong while laning and valuable even with only one skill point into them. Ancient Apparition also does not require as many items as other heroes. He is good with just his abilities and therefore does not need to farm very much. Even the most rudimentary items are all that this hero really needs. Because of his mana issues, a few good mana-regen items could help. Despite how good he is early on, he is not necessarily less good during the late game. In fact, he can be extremely helpful during later teamfights as his ultimate scales, shattering enemies based on % health, not just a flat amount. As well as this Ancient Apparition has a potent Aghanim's Scepter upgrade which further increases his potential as a late game support.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Cold Feet places an initial debuff on the target and places an icy marker at its current position upon cast.
- As long as the target stays within 740 radius of the mark, it takes damage from the debuff and after 4 seconds gets stunned.
- If the target moves 740 range away from the mark at any point during the initial debuff, the spell completely stops, removing the debuff and the marker.
- This means even when the target moves back within range, it is not frozen or damaged further.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in 4 instances.
- The stun is applied 1 second after the last instance.
- Can deal up to 150/200/250/300 damage to the target (before reductions).
- The movement speed slow and the magic resistance reduction are provided by an aura. Its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Reduces most heroes' total magic resistance to 13.75%/10%/6.25%/2.5% if they do not have any other source of magic resistance and are not Meepo or Visage.
- Reduces Meepo's total magic resistance to 25.25%/22%/18.75%/15.5% and Visage's total magic resistance to -3.5%/-8%/-12.5%/-17% if they have no other sources.
- Successive casts of Ice Vortex do not stack. A unit can only be affected by one of them even when multiple of them are overlapping.
- Provides 200 radius ground vision at the targeted point for its duration.
- Chilling Touch places a buff on allied heroes within the area which enchants their attacks. Leaving or entering the area after cast has no effect.
- The buff is always placed on Ancient Apparition, even when he was outside the targeted area.
- The damage is dealt as a separate damage instance before the attack damage is dealt, but relies on the attack to hit.
- This means when an attack misses, or is disjointed, no damage is dealt but the number of attacks remaining is also unreduced.
- Only successful hits reduce the number of left attacks and apply the damage.
- The damage source is set to be the attacking hero, not Ancient Apparition.
- The damage does not hit buildings or wards, and attacks against them do not reduce the number of attacks remaining.
- Can deal up to 150/240/350/480 damage per buffed ally, and up to 750/1200/1750/2400 damage with 5 buffed heroes (before reductions).
- Ancient Apparition or a buffed ally can remove the buff by clicking on its icon in the status bar.
- Upon cast, Ice Blast is replaced by the sub-skill Release.
- The tracer projectile travels at a speed of 1500 until Release is cast, Ancient Apparition dies, or it reaches the map boundaries.
- The tracer has invisibility and is never visible to enemies. However, with True Sight, enemies can see the projectile as a dot on their minimap.
- The invisibility also causes the typical shockwave effect caused by some invisibility sources, which is visible to the enemies if they have True Sight.
- The tracer projectile itself is harmless. It neither deals damage, nor places the debuff.
- The explosion radius starts at 275 and increases by 50 for every second the tracer has traveled, capped at 1000 radius.
- Thus, it takes at least 15 seconds to reach the maximum radius, equaling 22500 units traveled.
- The tracer provides 500 radius flying vision around itself as it travels. This vision does not last.
- The tracer blocks neutral creep camps. The dome indicating the area, and the second projectile do not.
- The debuff is only placed on heroes (including Meepo clones & Tempest Double) and creep-heroes, but not on illusions.
- Unlike the debuff, the explosion damage hits all enemy units, including creeps, excluding buildings and wards.
- The debuff prevents the current health of affected units to increase in any way. The only exceptions are Sunder, Decay, Time Lapse, Supernova and Whirling Death.
- Units with the debuff on die instantly when their health drops below the threshold. The kill is credited to the source of the damage which brought them below the threshold.
- However, if it was caused by self-inflicted damage, Ancient Apparition is credited for the kill.
- Shallow Grave prevents affected units from dying to the shatter for its duration. Invulnerable units cannot shatter.
- The debuff deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 8/9/10 ( 17) instances.
- The debuff itself can deal up to 100/180/320 ( 212.5/340/544) damage (before reductions).
- Together with the explosion, Ice Blast can deal up to 350/530/770 ( 462.5/690/994) damage (before reductions).
- Replaces Ice Blast until the sub-spell is cast or the tracer disappears.
- The cast of Release is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Has an instant cast time, but interrupts Ancient Apparition's channeling spells upon cast.
- Upon cast, the tracer stops travelling and marks the total area hit by the explosion once the icy ball of hail reaches its position.
- It also provides 650 radius flying vision at that position for 4 seconds.
- The icy ball of hail travels at a speed of 750, or reaches the targeted point 2 seconds after launch, whichever is faster.
- The icy ball is only released when Release is cast, or when Ancient Apparition dies while the tracer is still travelling.
- It is not released when the tracer reaches the map boundary. In this case, the spell is wasted.
- Every enemy unit which comes within 275 radius of the icy ball as it travels, or is hit by the explosion gets the Frostbitten debuff.
- The icy ball is fully visible to enemies. But unlike the tracer, it is not visible on the minimap.
- The icy ball provides 500 radius flying vision as it travels, which lasts for 3 seconds.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Two Iron Branches are cheap and give bonus attributes which are helpful for laning and can be made into Magic Wand.
- Clarities are needed because Ancient Apparition is very mana dependent in the early game. These potions will make spamming Cold Feet possible.
- Tangos and a Healing Salve grant good health regeneration, which is very important for a fragile Hero.
- Urn of Shadows gives some Strength, a necessary attribute for Ancient Apparition, and good mana regeneration. Its ability will make ganking easier, while it can also be used to heal allies.
- Magic Wand helps with both your health regeneration and mana regeneration.
- Boots of Speed are needed for the speed bonus.
- Power Treads will give you more attack speed and health/mana. Because of the good bonus and lack of attribute, they are usually kept into Strength most of the time.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity gives plenty of mana regeneration, some mana, and some movement speed. You can activate its ability on an enemy after casting Cold Feet and the opposing Hero will be stunned and frozen most of the times.
- Mekansm is a great utility item which will make you and your team much harder to kill. Use its ability to heal you and nearby friendly Heroes at the cost of some mana, while buffing everyone at the same time.
- Observer Ward not only helps your team out by providing vision, but helps you out, too, by scouting low-hp enemies to Ice Blast.
- Scythe of Vyse is a great item that gives a great attribute increase, all the mana regeneration you'll ever need, and an amazing disable. Its only downside is its hefty price.
- Rod of Atos grants a lot of intelligence and nice HP bulk. It makes you less fragile and able to spam your spells without worrying as much. Its 60% slow can be used with your Cold Feet (and Ice Vortex) to easily land your spells.
- Force Staff is an extremely useful item which can be picked up as an escape mechanism or a chasing item. It can be used to help teammates as well.
- Eye of Skadi gives a great increase to attributes, and the passive ability is useful in conjunction with your Cold Feet. It is also a good item in teamfights, since you can slow enemies and let your teammates chase them.
- Linken's Sphere is a good counter to teams with abilities that could leave you stunned or disabled for a long time. Overall, it grants an additional bonus to attributes, some health and mana regeneration and a bit more of damage.
- Shiva's Guard gives a lot of Intelligence and armor. Its ability slows down enemies and damages them in a large radius, making it perfect in teamfights where you are the first priority target.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives Ancient Apparition a much needed improvement to his attributes as well as increasing the duration of Ice Blast's debuff to 17 seconds, effectively preventing all enemy support heroes with healing spells from healing for an extended period of time. This makes your ultimate ability extremely lethal to low HP intelligence and agility heroes even when they are at full health.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Use Cold Feet to harass in the early game, but mind your mana pool.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity in combination with Cold Feet can almost always guarantee a stun (though at the cost of Cold Feet's damage over time). It also allows you to land a short-range Ice Blast in quick succession.
- Chilling Touch can be useful to max along with Cold Feet if you are laning with another ranged hero. The harass is extremely potent and can often push your enemies out of the lane.
- Since the Chilling Touch can be placed on Meepo clones, it is an incredibly big damage boost for him. 5 heroes and 4 Meepo clones together can deal a total of 1350/2160/3150/4230 damage through Chilling Touch alone.
- Ice Vortex can be used to slow enemies when chasing or being chased, as well as reduce their resistance. It also gives vision, so it can be used to scout the Roshan pit, ancients, trees (if someone jukes into them), high ground, and so on. The cast range is very long, so all of this can be done from a safe distance.
- Ice Blast is a multi-purpose spell that can be cast to anywhere on the map. Use it to aid your allies in ganks, initiate team battles, finish off low-HP heroes, and clear large creep waves.
- Do not worry about using your ultimate sparingly, it has only a 40 second cooldown and therefore can be used even for harassment or as a deterrent for pushing. The cooldown starts running upon launching the initial tracer, so it already starts cooling down before the actual blast even released.
- Remember that Ice Blast debuff prevents all health gain, including healing spells, natural health regeneration, lifesteal, health gained indirectly such as from activating an Armlet of Mordiggian and even bonus health gained from the strength obtained by leveling up under its effects (however, there ARE a few exceptions, namely abilities that directly manipulate health such as Sunder or Supernova. Landing this spell on the enemy team at the start of a team fight will put Heroes that rely on survivability such as Huskar, Necrophos or Death Prophet into a very dangerous, possibly even suicidal, situation. The debuff is even more powerful if you have an Aghanim's Scepter, increasing the duration considerably.
- Ancient Apparition can solo mid in the early game, as he has all the necessary tools to control his lane. AA will look to start ganking as soon as possible and use the early Ice Blasts to his team's advantage.
- In spite of his ability to solo, AA is still very potent in a dual or tri lane. Cold Feet functions well as a follow-up to an ally's stun, and Chilling Touch is able to buff every one of AA's allies, effectively multiplying its effectiveness by the number of allies you have available.
- All of Ancient Apparition's spells have good range. Try to avoid close combat when possible.
- You do not have an escape mechanism, so having vision of your opponents is crucial for you to survive. Ask your teammates to ward or do it yourself whenever possible.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kaldr's lore suggests that he is the embodiment of the Heat Death, a theoretical fate of the universe. According to this theory, the universe will achieve thermodynamic equilibrium and will no longer transfer energy. This would result in a universal temperature growing colder and a cessation of processes that require energy consumption, such as life.
- "Kaldr" is old norse and translates to "cold" in English.
- Oracle's prophecy for Ancient Apparition: Play "You shall almost certainly exhale your last in an icy blast." references the fact that if Ancient Apparition dies while the tracer is flying, the projectile will still launch to the location where the tracer is.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Low Violence model