"AA" redirects here. For the professional player, see ARS-ART
18 + 1.4
20 + 2.2
25 + 2.6
Kaldr the Ancient Apparition is a ranged intelligence hero. This spell-casting elemental being possesses high range, great attributes and strong semi-spammable spells. He is commonly played in a ganker or support role and due to his fairly high agility gain and attack enhancing spell, he can situationally be played as a semi-carry too. His ultimate is one of the most devastating spells in the game as it can hit multiple units, has global range with increasing radius from time travelled, freezes health regeneration of any kind, and instantly kills units if low on life.
| Kaldr, the Ancient Apparition
| Play "One day, ice will cover these lands, and it will be as if this war never happened."
|| Support / Disabler
|| Kaldr, the Ancient Apparition, is an image projected from outside time. He springs from the cold, infinite void that both predates the universe and awaits its end. Kaldr is, Kaldr was, Kaldr shall be… and what we perceive, powerful as it appears to us, is but the faintest faded echo of the true, eternal Kaldr. Some believe that as the cosmos ages and approaches its final moments, the brightness and power of Kaldr will also intensify—that the Ancient Apparition will grow younger and stronger as eternity's end draws nigh. His grip of ice will bring all matter to a stop, his image will cast a light too terrible to behold. An Apparition no longer!
|| John Patrick Lowrie (Responses)
Ancient Apparition is considered an efficient ganker for his very powerful abilities, despite each of them requiring precision and good timing to reach their full potential. Because his spells work very well with those of other heroes, a good ganking partner can easily ensure kills on most heroes. Kaldr is also a good support because of his Chilling Touch ability, which gives a large amount of bonus magic damage to his teammates' attacks, but more importantly for his Ice Vortex, which slows and helps him and his team deal more damage. He can also be an Initiator by using his ultimate, but to do so effectively requires more strategy and coordination with your team.
Ancient Apparition is recommended for Intermediate/Advanced players because he requires large amounts of map knowledge to maximize the use of his ultimate, but also to avoid getting ganked because he doesn't have any true escape mechanism. Because his abilities are most powerful when cast in succession, pulling off quick ability combos is very helpful. Consequently, he requires lots of mana management because casting all of his spells in combination can consume a lot of mana, which can leave you unable to cast any more spells until you replenish.
Ancient Apparition can solo mid fairly effectively because of his lane dominance through harassing and denying using Chilling Touch, but side-laning is most viable, especially with a partner who can disable. He shines most during the Early & Mid-Game phases because his abilities are naturally strong while laning and valuable even with only one skill point into them. Ancient Apparition also does not require as many items as other heroes. He is good with just his abilities and therefore doesn't need to farm very much. Even the most rudimentary items are all that this hero really needs. Because of his mana issues, a few good mana-regen items could help. Despite how good he is early on, he isn't necessarily less so during the late game. In fact, he can be extremely helpful during later teamfights as his ultimate scales, shattering enemies based on % health, not just a flat amount. As well as this Ancient Apparition has a potent Aghanim's Scepter upgrade which further increases his potential as a late game support.
- Cold Feet places an initial debuff on the target and places an icy marker at its current position upon cast.
- As long as the target stays within 740 radius of the mark, it takes damage from the debuff and after 4 seconds gets stunned.
- If the target moves 740 range away from the mark at any point during the initial debuff, the spell completely stops, removing the debuff and the marker.
- This means even when the target moves back within range, it won't be frozen or damaged further.
- Deals 4 damage over instances in a pattern of 0.8, 1.6, 2.5 and 3.4 seconds after cast. The stun is applied 0.6 seconds after the last tick.
- The stun is applied 0.6 seconds after the last damage tick, overall 4 seconds after cast.
- Can deal up to 150/200/250/300 damage to the target (before reductions).
- Chilling Touch places a buff on allied heroes within the area which enchants their attacks. Leaving or entering the area after cast has no effect.
- The buff is only placed on allied heroes (including Meepo clones), but not on illusions.
- The buff is always placed on Ancient Apparition, even when he was outside the targeted area.
- The damage is dealt as a seperate damage instance before the attack damage is dealt, but relies on the attack to hit.
- This means when an attack misses, or is disjointed, no damage is dealt but the number of attacks remaining is also unreduced.
- Only successful hits reduce the number of left attacks and apply the damage.
- The damage source is set to be the attacking hero, not Ancient Apparition.
- The damage does not hit buildings or wards, neither do attacks against those reduce the number of attacks left.
- Can deal up to 150/240/350/480 damage per buffed ally, and up to 750/1200/1750/2400 damage with 5 buffed heroes (before reductions).
- The tracer projectile travels at a speed of 1500 until Release is cast, Ancient Apparition dies, or it reaches the map boundaries.
- The tracer has invisibility and is never visible to enemies. However, with true sight, enemies can see the projectile as a dot on their minimap.
- The invisibility also causes the typical shockwave effect caused by some invisibility sources, which is visible to the enemies.
- The tracer projectile itself is harmless. It neither deals damage, nor places the debuff.
- The explosion radius starts at 275 and increases by 50 for every second the tracer traveled, capped at 1000 radius.
- The tracer provides 500 radius flying vision around itself as it travels. This vision does not last.
- Unlike the debuff, the explosion damage hits all enemy units, including creeps, excluding buildings and wards.
- The debuff prevents the current health of affected units to increase in any way. The only exceptions are Sunder and Decay.
- Units with the debuff on die instantly when their health drops below the threshold. The kill is credited to the source of the damage which brought them below the threshold.
- However, if it was caused by self afflicted damage, Ancient Apparition will be credited for the kill.
- The debuff deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 8/9/10 (17*) instances.
- The debuff itself can deal up to 100/180/320 (212.5/340/544*) damage (before reductions).
- Together with the explosion, Ice Blast can deal up to 350/530/770 (462.5/690/994*) damage (before reductions).
- Three Iron Branches are cheap and give bonus attributes which are helpful for laning and can be made into Magic Wand.
- Clarities are needed because Ancient Apparition is very mana dependent in the early game. These potions will make spamming Cold Feet possible.
- Tangos and a Healing Salve grant good health regeneration, which is very important for a fragile Hero.
- Urn of Shadows gives some Strength, a necessary attribute for Ancient Apparition, and good mana regeneration. Its ability will make ganking easier, while it can also be used to heal allies.
- Magic Wand helps with both your health regeneration and mana regeneration.
- Boots of Speed are needed for the speed bonus.
- Power Treads will give you more attack speed and health/mana. Because of the good bonus and lack of attribute, they're usually kept into Strength most of the time.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity gives plenty of mana regeneration, some mana and some movement speed. You can activate its ability on an enemy after casting Cold Feet and the opposing Hero will be stunned and frozen most of the times.
- Mekansm is a great utility item which will make you and your team much harder to kill. Use its ability to heal you and nearby friendly Heroes at the cost of some mana, while buffing everyone at the same time.
- Observer Ward not only helps your team out by providing vision, but helps you out, too, by scouting low-hp enemies to Ice Blast.
- Scythe of Vyse is a great item that gives a great attribute increase, all the mana regeneration you'll ever need, and an amazing disable. Its only downside is its hefty price.
- Rod of Atos grants a lot of intelligence and nice HP bulk. It makes you less fragile and able to spam your spells without worrying as much. Its 60% slow can be used with your Cold Feet (and Ice Vortex) to easily land your spells.
- Force Staff is an extremely useful item which can be picked up as an escape mechanism or a chasing item. It can be used to help teammates as well.
- Eye of Skadi gives a great increase to attributes, and the passive ability is useful in conjuction with your Cold Feet. It's also a good item in teamfights, since you can slow enemies and let your teammates chase them.
- Linken's Sphere is a good counter to teams with abilities that could leave you stunned or disabled for a long time. Overall, it grants an additional bonus to attributes, some health and mana regeneration and a bit more of damage.
- Shiva's Guard gives a lot of Intelligence and armor. Its ability slows down enemies and damages them in a large radius, making it perfect in team battles where you are the first priority target.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives Ancient Apparition a much needed improvement to his attributes as well as increasing the duration of Ice Blast's debuff to 17 seconds, effectively preventing all enemy support heroes with healing spells from healing for an extended period of time. This makes your ultimate ability extremely lethal to low HP intelligence and agility heroes even when they are at full health.
- Ancient Apparition has no equipments currently.
- Use Cold Feet to harass in the early game, but mind your mana pool.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity in combination with Cold Feet can almost always guarantee a stun (though at the cost of Cold Feet's damage over time). It also allows you to land a short-range Ice Blast in quick succession.
- Chilling Touch can be useful to max along with Cold Feet if you are laning with another ranged hero. The harass is extremely potent and can often push your enemies out of the lane.
- Since the Chilling Touch can be placed on Meepo clones, it is an incredibly big damage boost for him. 5 heroes and 4 Meepo clones together can deal a total of 1350/2160/3150/4230 damage through Chilling Touch alone.
- Ice Vortex can be used to slow enemies when chasing or being chased, as well as reduce their resistance. It also gives vision, so it can be used to scout the Roshan pit, ancients, trees (if someone jukes into them), high ground, and so on. The cast range is very long, so all of this can be done from a safe distance.
- Ice Blast is a multi-purpose spell that can be cast to anywhere on the map. Use it to aid your allies in ganks, initiate team battles, finish off low-HP heroes, and clear large creep waves.
- Do not worry about using your ultimate sparingly, it has only a 40 second cooldown and therefore can be used even for harassment or as a deterrent for pushing. The cooldown starts running upon launching the initial tracer, so it alrady starts cooling down before the actual blast even released.
- Remember that Ice Blast debuff prevents all health gain, including healing spells, natural health regeneration, lifesteal, health gained indirectly such as from activating an Armlet of Mordiggian and even bonus health gained from the strength obtained by leveling up under its effects! Landing this spell on the enemy team at the start of a team fight will prevent healers such as Dazzle, Chen and Omniknight or a Mekansm carrying hero from regenerating any HP to their team. The debuff is even more powerful if you have an Aghanim's Scepter, increasing the duration considerably.
- Ancient Apparition can solo mid in the early game, as he has all the necessary tools to control his lane. AA will look to start ganking as soon as possible and use the early Ice Blasts to his team's advantage.
- In spite of his ability to solo, AA is still very potent in a dual or tri lane. Cold Feet functions well as a follow-up to an ally's stun, and Chilling Touch is able to buff every one of AA's allies, effectively multiplying its effectiveness by the number of allies you have available.
- All of Ancient Apparition's spells have good range. Try to avoid close combat when possible.
- You don't have an escape mechanism, so having vision of your opponents is crucial for you to survive. Ask your teammates to ward or do it yourself whenever possible.
- Kaldr's lore suggests that he is the embodiment of the Heat Death, a theoretical fate of the universe. According to this theory, the universe will achieve thermodynamic equilibrium and will no longer transfer energy. This would result in a universal temperature growing colder and a cessation of processes that require energy consumption, such as life.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
June 28, 2013 Patch
March 21, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Ancient Apparition's ult cast sounds to only play for teammates or nearby enemies that have vision.
December 13, 2012 Patch
- Fixed status effect ignoring magic immune units (HP Freeze and Shatter).
July 26, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Ice Blast debuff not getting added to units slept by Song of the Siren.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Added the following animations for Ancient Apparition:
- Injured Idle (and alternate animation)
- Haste Rune Run
- Injured Run
- Teleport (Start and End)
May 17, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Ethereal and Guardian Angel blocking Ice Blast's shatter.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
April 26, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Ice Blast impact damage not hurting illusions.
- Fixed Chilling Touch affecting Spirit Bear and Warlock's Golem.
March 28, 2012 Patch
- Fixed a bug where Ice Blast could get stuck on the map.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Ice Blast's secondary ability not firing off when you die.
November 17, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the location from which Ice Blast fires.
- Fixed Level 3 Cold Feet doing 1 too much damage.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
November 04, 2011 Patch
- Issues with items that used the negative health regen - this fixes the interaction of Ancient Apparition with Armlet of Mordiggian.
October 27, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a recent bug with Ice Blast trail debuff happening a little too early.
- Fixed a bug with Chilling Touch attack speed reduction display.
October 20, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a recent bug that caused the Ice Blast trail debuff to not get applied to heroes.
September 29, 2011 Patch
September 23, 2011 Patch
- Rocket Flare and Iceblast should now behave correctly when they are cast while queueing commands.
September 09, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Ice Vortex debuff lasting a little too long on enemies that leave the area.
August 05, 2011 Patch
- Fixed broken AA tooltips.
August 04, 2011 Patch
- Removed death effect blood from AA.
- Added quick death effect to AA.
- death anim for Ancient Appa.
July 29, 2011 Patch
- Ice Blast spells now shows up for spectators.
July 22, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Ice Blast's projectile not showing up on the minimap.
July 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Cold Feet purgability.
June 28, 2011 Patch
- Changed how Ice Blast secondary projectile works visually. It now calculates it's intended target for the explosion time rather than waiting on a message from the server. This allows it to be accurate regardless of latency.
- Ice Blast wont shatter units that are attack immune.
- Fixed Ice Blast release cast point to be 0.0f.
- Fixed Ice Vortex's magic damage amp not working.
- Fixed Ice Vortex affecting ancients.
- Fixed losing the debuff when moving between two patches of ice vortex. Also made the debuff not purgable.
- Fixed Chilling Touch affecting friendly illusions, also fixed it so attacking illusions wont consume a charge nor do the extra damage.
- Fixed Ice Blast affecting illusions.
June 17, 2011 Patch
- New Hero: Ancient Apparition.
- Ice Vortex slow decreased from 18/22/26/30% to 15/20/25/30%.
- Ice Vortex
- Spell damage amplification increased from 10/15/20/25 to 15/20/25/30.
- Duration increased from 12 to 16.
- Aura stickiness increased from 0.1 to the standard 0.5 aura value.
- Ice Vortex cooldown reduced from 5 to 4.
- Ice Blast cooldown reduced from 45 to 40.
- Chilling Touch
- The buff is now always applied to Ancient Apparition even if he is not within the target area.
- Cooldown reduced from 50/46/42/38 to 50/42/34/26.
- Night vision reduced from 1400 to 800.
- Chilling Touch
- Now deals its bonus damage and uses a charge when attacking creeps.
- AoE increased from 450 to 525.
- Bonus damage increased from 40/50/60/70 to 50/60/70/80.
- Duration reduced from 40 to 30.
- Ice Blast is no longer dispelled by the Fountain.
- Armor reduced from 4 to 2.
- Armor reduced by 1.
- Ice Blast cooldown from 44/32/20 to 45.
- Cold Feet mana cost increased from 90/10/110/120 to 150.
- Cold Feet manacost increased from 90 to 90/100/110/120.
- Ice Blast
- Impact delay is a little slower now.
- No longer pierces Shallow Grave.
- Debuff is now purgable.