Kaldr the Ancient Apparition is a ranged intelligence hero. This spell-casting elemental being possesses high range, great attributes and strong semi-spammable spells. He is commonly played in a ganker or support role and due to his fairly high agility gain and attack enhancing spell, he can situationally be played as a semi-carry too. His ultimate is one of the most devastating spells in the game as it can hit multiple units, has global range with increasing radius from time travelled, freezes health regeneration of any kind, and instantly kills units if low on life.
Ancient Apparition is considered an efficient ganker for his very powerful abilities, despite each of them requiring precision and good timing to reach their full potential. Because his spells work very well with those of other heroes, a good ganking partner can easily ensure kills on most heroes. Kaldr is also a good support because of his Chilling Touch ability, which gives a large amount of bonus magic damage to his teammates' attacks, but more importantly for his Ice Vortex, which slows and helps him and his team deal more damage. He can also be an Initiator by using his ultimate, but to do so effectively requires more strategy and coordination with your team.
Ancient Apparition is recommended for Intermediate/Advanced players because he requires large amounts of map knowledge to maximize the use of his ultimate, but also to avoid getting ganked because he doesn't have any true escape mechanism. Because his abilities are most powerful when cast in succession, pulling off quick ability combos is very helpful. Consequently, he requires lots of mana management because casting all of his spells in combination can consume a lot of mana, which can leave you unable to cast any more spells until you replenish.
Ancient Apparition can solo mid fairly effectively because of his lane dominance through harassing and denying using Chilling Touch, but side-laning is most viable, especially with a partner who can disable. He shines most during the Early & Mid-Game phases because his abilities are naturally strong while laning and valuable even with only one skill point into them. Ancient Apparition also does not require as many items as other heroes. He is good with just his abilities and therefore doesn't need to farm very much. Even the most rudimentary items are all that this hero really needs. Because of his mana issues, a few good mana-regen items could help. Despite how good he is early on, he isn't necessarily less so during the late game. In fact, he can be extremely helpful during later teamfights as his ultimate scales, shattering enemies based on % health, not just a flat amount. As well as this Ancient Apparition has a potent Aghanim's Scepter upgrade which further increases his potential as a late game support.
- Ancient Apparition has no equipments currently.
- Use Cold Feet to harass in the early game, but mind your mana pool.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity in combination with Cold Feet can almost always guarantee a stun (though at the cost of Cold Feet's damage over time). It also allows you to land a short-range Ice Blast in quick succession.
- Chilling Touch can be useful to max along with Cold Feet if you are laning with another ranged hero. The harass is extremely potent and can often push your enemies out of the lane.
- Since the Chilling Touch can be placed on Meepo clones, it is an incredibly big damage boost for him. 5 heroes and 4 Meepo clones together can deal a total of 1350/2160/3150/4230 damage through Chilling Touch alone.
- Ice Vortex can be used to slow enemies when chasing or being chased, as well as reduce their resistance. It also gives vision, so it can be used to scout the Roshan pit, ancients, trees (if someone jukes into them), high ground, and so on. The cast range is very long, so all of this can be done from a safe distance.
- Ice Blast is a multi-purpose spell that can be cast to anywhere on the map. Use it to aid your allies in ganks, initiate team battles, finish off low-HP heroes, and clear large creep waves.
- Do not worry about using your ultimate sparingly, it has only a 40 second cooldown and therefore can be used even for harassment or as a deterrent for pushing. The cooldown starts running upon launching the initial tracer, so it alrady starts cooling down before the actual blast even released.
- Remember that Ice Blast debuff prevents all health gain, including healing spells, natural health regeneration, lifesteal, health gained indirectly such as from activating an Armlet of Mordiggian and even bonus health gained from the strength obtained by leveling up under its effects! Landing this spell on the enemy team at the start of a team fight will prevent healers such as Dazzle, Chen and Omniknight or a Mekansm carrying hero from regenerating any HP to their team. The debuff is even more powerful if you have an Aghanim's Scepter, increasing the duration considerably.
- Ancient Apparition can solo mid in the early game, as he has all the necessary tools to control his lane. AA will look to start ganking as soon as possible and use the early Ice Blasts to his team's advantage.
- In spite of his ability to solo, AA is still very potent in a dual or tri lane. Cold Feet functions well as a follow-up to an ally's stun, and Chilling Touch is able to buff every one of AA's allies, effectively multiplying its effectiveness by the number of allies you have available.
- All of Ancient Apparition's spells have good range. Try to avoid close combat when possible.
- You don't have an escape mechanism, so having vision of your opponents is crucial for you to survive. Ask your teammates to ward or do it yourself whenever possible.
- Kaldr's lore suggests that he is the embodiment of the Heat Death, a theoretical fate of the universe. According to this theory, the universe will achieve thermodynamic equilibrium and will no longer transfer energy. This would result in a universal temperature growing colder and a cessation of processes that require energy consumption, such as life.
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Ancient Apparition's ult cast sounds to only play for teammates or nearby enemies that have vision.
- Fixed status effect ignoring magic immune units (HP Freeze and Shatter).
- Fixed Ice Blast debuff not getting added to units slept by Song of the Siren.
- Added the following animations for Ancient Apparition:
- Injured Idle (and alternate animation)
- Haste Rune Run
- Injured Run
- Teleport (Start and End)
- Fixed Ethereal and Guardian Angel blocking Ice Blast's shatter.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed Ice Blast impact damage not hurting illusions.
- Fixed Chilling Touch affecting Spirit Bear and Warlock's Golem.
- Fixed a bug where Ice Blast could get stuck on the map.
- Fixed Ice Blast's secondary ability not firing off when you die.
- Fixed the location from which Ice Blast fires.
- Fixed Level 3 Cold Feet doing 1 too much damage.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Issues with items that used the negative health regen - this fixes the interaction of Ancient Apparition with Armlet of Mordiggian.
- Fixed a recent bug with Ice Blast trail debuff happening a little too early.
- Fixed a bug with Chilling Touch attack speed reduction display.
- Fixed a recent bug that caused the Ice Blast trail debuff to not get applied to heroes.
- Fixed bugs with Ice Blast and Refresher Orb.
- Rocket Flare and Iceblast should now behave correctly when they are cast while queueing commands.
- Fixed Ice Vortex debuff lasting a little too long on enemies that leave the area.
- Fixed broken AA tooltips.
- Removed death effect blood from AA.
- Added quick death effect to AA.
- death anim for Ancient Appa.
- Ice Blast spells now shows up for spectators.
- Fixed Ice Blast's projectile not showing up on the minimap.
- Fixed Cold Feet purgability.
- Changed how Ice Blast secondary projectile works visually. It now calculates it's intended target for the explosion time rather than waiting on a message from the server. This allows it to be accurate regardless of latency.
- Ice Blast wont shatter units that are attack immune.
- Fixed Ice Blast release cast point to be 0.0f.
- Fixed Ice Vortex's magic damage amp not working.
- Fixed Ice Vortex affecting ancients.
- Fixed losing the debuff when moving between two patches of ice vortex. Also made the debuff not purgable.
- Fixed Chilling Touch affecting friendly illusions, also fixed it so attacking illusions wont consume a charge nor do the extra damage.
- Fixed Ice Blast affecting illusions.
- New Hero: Ancient Apparition.
- Ice Vortex slow decreased from 18/22/26/30% to 15/20/25/30%.
- Chilling Touch attack speed reduction increased from -15 to -20.
- Ice Vortex
- Spell damage amplification increased from 10/15/20/25 to 15/20/25/30.
- Duration increased from 12 to 16.
- Aura stickiness increased from 0.1 to the standard 0.5 aura value.
- Ice Vortex cooldown reduced from 5 to 4.
- Ice Blast cooldown reduced from 45 to 40.
- Chilling Touch
- The buff is now always applied to Ancient Apparition even if he is not within the target area.
- Cooldown reduced from 50/46/42/38 to 50/42/34/26.
- Night vision reduced from 1400 to 800.
- Ice Vortex cooldown decreased from 6 to 5.
- Ice Blast base AoE increased from 225 to 275.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter ( Ice Blast duration increased from 8/9/10 to 17).
- Chilling Touch manacost rescaled from 140 to 110/120/130/140
- Chilling Touch attack count increased from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Chilling Touch
- Now deals its bonus damage and uses a charge when attacking creeps.
- AoE increased from 450 to 525.
- Bonus damage increased from 40/50/60/70 to 50/60/70/80.
- Duration reduced from 40 to 30.
- Ice Blast is no longer dispelled by the Fountain.
- Armor reduced from 4 to 2.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Armor reduced by 1.
- Ice Blast cooldown from 44/32/20 to 45.
- Cold Feet mana cost increased from 90/10/110/120 to 150.
- Cold Feet manacost increased from 90 to 90/100/110/120.
- Ice Blast
- Impact delay is a little slower now.
- No longer pierces Shallow Grave.
- Debuff is now purgable.
Low Violence model